Describe the structure and function of the blood brain barrier. Describe the process of CSF production.
1 Expert Answer
4th Year Medical Student
- Endothelial cell = line the blood vessel that supplies blood and nutrients to the brain cells
- Astrocytes = Neurons that support structure of vessels and blood brain barrier, store glycogen for the brain cells to use, help transport/uptake neurotransmitters, etc.
- Pericyte = support blood brain barrier
- Filter system to allow things like nutrients to enter the brain and prevent toxins and chemical from entering brain
- produced by ependymal cells in the choroid plexus of ventricles found in the brain
- Once produced from ventricles it circulates throughout the brain and spinal cord to be absorbed in arachnoid granulations to prevent accumulation in brain and spinal cord
- consists of plasma, electrolytes, certain cells like WBC
Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.
Find an Online Tutor Now
Choose an expert and meet online.
No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.