Asked • 03/30/19

What do you call the process of formally addressing someone by using honorifics?

My native language is Macedonian, and in my language, we have a special term that describes the process of formally addressing someone. The idea is that you treat that person in plural instead of in singular, plus you also use the proper honorifics. For example: > Hello, Professor Mark, How are **You** today? In the sentence above, there are three important things 1. **You** starts with capital **Y** 2. **You** in this context (if it was in Macedonian of course) would be personal pronoun for second person plural (In Macedonian it is totally different word than the one for second person singular) 3. We use the word **Professor** as an honorific/title. For this process, or way of addressing someone formally, we have a word in the Macedonian language: **Персирање** I would like to know the equivalent of the English Language and I couldn't find it in few online and few printed dictionary that I have had access to. I would highly appreciate if someone finds the right word for me and also tell me more about the roles for formal addressing in the English Language (or redirect me to some article). Thank you.

1 Expert Answer


Veronica B. answered • 03/30/19

5.0 (47)

Academic Writing, ESOL, Adult Basic Education, and GED Tutor

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.