Remember, he's wanting to study abroad to learn another language, culture, history....NOT English. So, he's needs enough English to convey WHY he wants to study abroad and WHERE, what areas he excels in. An interviewer will also be looking for someone who is friendly and outgoing because these are important qualities to be successful in study abroad.
1. WHY do you want to study abroad?
2. WHERE and WHY do you want to study in a particular area?
3. WHAT is your best ability?
4. WHAT is your weakest ability?
5. WHAT are your favorite activities/sports/games?