Asked • 03/15/19

How do I get a blur effect in pencil drawings?

When drawing pictures with a pencil, I often want to create a more or less solid darker colour in some region. It's easy to shade an area so that it appears a solid dark colour from a distance, e.g. by hatching or cross-hatching, but I'd like to be able to blur the lines in a hatched or cross-hatched area so that the darkness is uniform even when looking at the picture close up.In the past I achieved this using a special eraser I had. As an eraser it was very bad, since instead of rubbing out pencil marks it blurred them and made them spread darkly across a bigger region. This, however, made it perfect for creating uniformly dark areas in pencil drawings.Now that I don't have that eraser any more (or at least, I don't know where it is to lay my hands on it), I'd like to know a better method.**After shading an area with pencil strokes, how can I blur these strokes together to get a uniformly dark region?**

2 Answers By Expert Tutors


Joseph D. answered • 03/15/19

5 (25)

Expert Pencil Artist of +10 Years

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.