Asked • 11d

Is there a word that captures the different moods and ways a word can be pronounced in?

I am looking for a way to categorize these different ways a given word can be said to convey completely different emotions in different contexts, and I feel like there is some proper term for it that I don't know about. For instance, you could say "Hi" in a very sarcastic way to convey a sense of arrogance, you could say "Hi" in a lower voice through your teeth to convey anger and contempt, or you could say "Hi" in a joyous way to convey that you enjoy seeing someone, or you could say "Hi" in an earnest way to convey meeting someone new in a professional environment.

1 Expert Answer

95393792 01fc 4e3b bdca 4fca9d74d0b2

William N. answered • 10d

Experienced, Effective American Sign Language and English Tutoring

I’m available for 1–on–1 sessions ›

Still have a question? Ask your own and get expert help!