rainfall measurements/climate for earth science
The avearage annual rainfall for Alice Springs is 281.5 mm. The averagle annual rainfall for downtown Portland, Oregon is 1069.34 mm.
1. How does the location of Portland, Oregon help explain why it receives more rainfall than Alice Springs, Austrailia?
2. Using the concepts of evaporation and condenstation, explain what happens when it rains in Portland, Oregon?
3. What might be the effect on Portland's climate if the Cascade Range was to the west orather than to the east of Portland? Be sure to consider the prevailing patter of winds in the US and the concept of a rain shadow in answer.
4. Do currents have a major effect on the climate of Alice Springs, Australia? Why or why not.
5. How does the location of Alice Springs, Australia help explain why it receives less rainfall than Portland, Oregon?