It's a subtraction fraction
- Remember, two negatives make a positive. What you are being asked to do here is add 5 1/3 and 7/8.
- First, you will need to find a common denominator for the two fractions. You can find this easily by multiplying the denominators given. 3 x 8 = 24. The common denominator will be 24.
- Now, you need to make the numerators proportional to the new denominators. You can do this by cross multiplying. You will multiple the numerator of 1 in the first fraction by the denominator of 8 from the second fraction. 1 x 8= 8. Now do the same thing to the other numerator. 3 x 7 = 21
- 5 8/24 + 21/24 = 5 29/24
- Notice that the numerator in your answer is higher than the denominator. 29/24 is an improper fraction. You must change 29/24 to 1 5/24.
- Add this to the 5.
- The answer is 6 5/24.
- The fraction is in simplest form so you are done.