determine the empirical formula of an imaginary hydrate.
A student wishes to determine the empirical formula of an imaginary hydrate. The following data is obtained-
- mass of empty crucible - 23.567g
- mass of crucible with hydrate before heating- 28.097g
- mass of crucible with hydrate after heating- 26.463g
Considering the data table, the mass of the hydrate (ionic compound with water) was 4.530 g, and the mass of the anhydrate (dried ionic compound) was 2.896 g. The mass of the water evaporated was 1.634 g.
The molar mass of the imaginary anhydrous salt is 159.6 g/mol.
Your answer should include:
- all your work
- mass of components, including water lost
- moles of components, including water lost
- hydrate formula (salt* nH2O) including mole ratio