Asked • 07/17/19

Is there a term for fiction authors whose writing style is technically the most important feature of their books?

I'm re-reading "Lolita" by **Vladimir Nabokov** right now, and I must say, the author is very consistent in never allowing himself merely to narrate: each paragraph, if not each sentence, is loaded with metaphors, allusions, elegant turns of phrase, humorous word-play, twisted and sprained shades of meaning, and so forth. A very different author, **William Faulkner**, uses different words, different imagery, different everything, except the method: each paragraph, if not each sentence, is unmistakably Faulkner's, and all of them are packed with Faulkner's signature twists and turns. There are a few others, including **Joyce**, whom I dislike intensely, but he, too, is one of ... Well, that, actually, is the question. Is there a term for authors of that sort? I mean, "stylists" is what comes to mind first, except that in today's cultural climate, the word would sooner invoke images of the bright lights in a Manhattan beauty salon than those of a patient storyteller burning the midnight oil. Clearly there is, or was, an entire *movement*, before and after World War II. There was a whole *category* of these people. Similar to, say, the **Lake Poets**. Is there an official term?

1 Expert Answer


Douglas L. answered • 07/25/19

New to Wyzant

Credentialed Teacher with 7 years experience on ACT/SAT/Essay

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.