Calculate the number of seconds in one year.
- There are various ways this could be done based on how a year is defined. In math we tend to use 52 weeks, especially when calculating compound interest. It is not as accurate as 365.25 days, but that number is not completely accurate either. If the teacher does not give a value, choose one and then show your work so the teacher sees how you got your answer.
- Days are also not exactly 24 hours long.
1 min = 60 sec
1 hour = 60 min
1 day = 24 hrs
1 week = 7 days
1 year = 52 weeks
1 year x 52 weeks/year = 52 weeks
52 weeks x 7 days/week = 364 days
364 days x 24 hrs/day = 8736 hrs
8736 hrs x 60 min/hr = 524,160 min
524,160 min x 60 sec/min = 31,449,600 sec
- In general we consider a year to be 365 days and a day to be 24 hrs.
- Here is what that would look like.
1 year x 365 day/year = 365 days
365 days x 24 hrs/day = 8760 hrs
8760 hrs x 60 min/hr = 525,600 min
525,600 min x 60 sec/min = 31,536,000 sec
- If a more exact number is required you would need to use the exact number of days in a year and the exact number of hours in a day.