Ask a question

5 5/6 x 1 3/4

How do I convert a whole number and a fraction to a fraction notation?
5 5/6 x 1 3/4

2 Answers by Expert Tutors

Tutors, sign in to answer this question.
Joshua M. | Josh M- Tutor in MooreJosh M- Tutor in Moore
Check Marked as Best Answer
I believe what you are asking is how do I convert a mixed number to an improper fraction. Here your mixed number is 5 5/6. To convert, you take the denominator 6, multiply by your whole number 5, and add that to your existing numerator 5 to equal your new numerator. Put that new numerator over the old denominator. So for 5 5/6, the improper fraction would be 35/6. Hope that helps!


Derek W. | Engineering Grad for Math and Science TutoringEngineering Grad for Math and Science Tu...
4.8 4.8 (12 lesson ratings) (12)
To convert to an improper fraction you simply need to multiply the number in front by the denominator and add the numerator.
5 5/6 = (5*6+5)/6 = 35/6
1 3/4 = (1*4+3)/4 = 7/4
You can then multiply the two fractions
(35*7)/(4*6) = 245/24


Hi Derek W.
Your answer was a little confusing by using the words number in front (Whole #) If there hadn't been someone else sending an answer I would have had a bit of a hard time understanding. Especially your written formula. But then I am really emotional mess when it comes to math. Thanks for being available! I really have no tutors in Bonners Ferry, Idaho for North Idaho college that can't seem to keep any. Thanks again. Elaine