Asked • 03/26/19

Collective word for sharps and flats in the key signature?

On a mailing list I'm subscribed to, someone recently asked what the collective name was in English for the sharps and flats you find in the key signature. Apparently, the closest translation from several languages (German, Dutch, Russian) is "signs". My first thought was "accidentals", but this doesn't match the more 'musical' definition of an accidental as a "note whose pitch has been altered from that given by the current key signature" (or something pretty close to that). Any thoughts?

Emma L.

I had this question in one of my theory books I’m taking and the correct answer was a chromatic sign


2 Answers By Expert Tutors


Nicholas C. answered • 06/28/19

5 (21)

Berklee College of Music Grad for Music and ESL Tutoring!

Tegan S. answered • 03/26/19

5.0 (59)

Experienced Woodwinds, Piano and Accordion Teacher

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.