Search
Ask a question
0

Story Problem

A Chemist needs to create a solution consisting of 90% hydrochloric acid(the other 10% is water.) How much pure acid(100% acid solution) should be mixed with 15ml of a solution with 40% acid in order to get a solution with 90% acid?

1 Answer by Expert Tutors

Tutors, sign in to answer this question.
Deanna L. | Electrical engineering major and music lover with MIT degreeElectrical engineering major and music l...
4.9 4.9 (131 lesson ratings) (131)
0
15ml of 40% hHcl is 6ml Hcl. Then (6+x)/(15+x)=.9
6+x=13.5+.9x
.1x=7.5
You need 75ml pure acid.
 
 
Hope that helps,
Deanna