Zaina R.

asked • 08/25/20

Binomial distribution

avery and bradly work at a large electronics manufacturer that produces dvd players.The defective rate on the assembly line has gone up to 12% and the manager wants to know the probabality that a skid of 50 dvd plays will contain atleast 3 defective units

A

a) Help avery use the binomial distribution formula to answer this question

b) help Bradley use nrmal approximation to answer this question

1 Expert Answer

By:

Zaina R.

how do I show 0,1, and 2 in the binomial formula
Report

08/25/20

Zaina R.

also wouldnt 12% represent the probability of failure and 88% would be the success?
Report

08/25/20

Robert Z.

tutor
Sounds crazy I know, but since this problem is focusing on failures, finding them is considered "success." The problem could have asked for the probability that there are 47 or fewer non-defective units. The answers would come out the same.
Report

08/25/20

Robert Z.

tutor
Also, when doing the normal approximation to the discrete binomial distribution, all the continuous values from 1.5 to 2.5 represent the 2's and the values from 2.5 to 3.5 represent the 3's. This means that the normal approximation should be written P(x < 3) = P(z < 2.5 - 6 / 2.298) = P( z < -1.523) = 0.0639 1-0.0639 = .9361 This is much closer to the binomial result.
Report

08/25/20

Vinu P.

@Zaina. I have the same question too. Basically the manager wants to know what the probability of defective units are. 12% is the defective rate and is also used as a success. Failure would be 88% because that is the non-defective rate. The question asks for defective units so you would use 12 % as the success to solve the question. If they asked for units that were not defective then the success would be 88%.
Report

08/25/20

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.

OR

Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.