Asked • 03/18/19

Term for distinguishing dim/perfect/aug intervals from dim/min/maj/aug ones?

There are two types of intervals, distinguished by their possible qualities: - Unisons, fourths, fifths, and octaves (and their compound variants) may be of perfect or (multiply) diminished/augmented quality - Seconds, thirds, sixths, and sevenths (and their compound variants) may be of minor, major, or (multiply) diminished/augmented quality Is there an established term for distinguishing these two categories? Something like "a fifth is a *foobarian* interval, so its quality cannot be minor". If there is no established term, what would be a good choice? Background: I'm writing some music software and this distinction comes up a lot in my code so I'd like to use the appropriate terminology.

2 Answers By Expert Tutors


Tegan S. answered • 03/26/19

5.0 (59)

Experienced Woodwinds, Piano and Accordion Teacher

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.