Classifying Employed, Unemployed, and Not in the Labor Force
Classify each of the following individuals in one of the following categories: employed, unemployed, or not in the labor force.
- Steve worked 40 hours last week in an office supply store
- Roger lost his job at the R-gone Manufacturing Company. Since then he has been trying to find a job at other local factories.
- Linda is a homemaker. Last week she was occupied with her normal household chores. She neither held a job nor looked for a job.
- Scott has a Ph.D. He worked full-time but does not like his job as a dishwasher. He has applied for jobs with three companies and five universities. As soon as he gets an offer, he will quit his current job.
- Mary-Helen has been out of work for a full year. She would take a job if it was offered, but no local companies are hiring. She is not actively searching for work.