Asked • 06/29/19

is there a name in music when the melody changes the chord name or function?

I notice in some chords the melody actually starts on a note that is not in the chord itself. For example, a song in C major, the song might start on the C chord but the melody on the D (9th). Is there a name for this? Is it the composers intention to change the C chord into a Cadd9? Is there a name for this in music?

1 Expert Answer


Scott S. answered • 07/22/19

5 (2)

Professional Songwriter/Producer in LA

Still looking for help? Get the right answer, fast.

Ask a question for free

Get a free answer to a quick problem.
Most questions answered within 4 hours.


Find an Online Tutor Now

Choose an expert and meet online. No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need.