Send Catharine a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response shortly. Have you already emailed Catharine or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, Wyzant will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
A common hurdle in learning the Classics is the long task of learning the language before you can enjoy all the brilliant and moving literature it has to offer. Sometimes students are even told they are "bad at" a language, before they have had the chance to achieve small accomplishments and look forward to bigger ones.
The way into Latin and Greek is confidence through mastering the building blocks of the languages, enjoying the "strategy game" aspect of translation, and learning how to understand a thrilling culture and literature which is much closer to our own than we often realize.
I offer the following services in Latin and Greek tutoring:
- Assistance for students currently enrolled in a Latin or Greek course
- Standardized test prep (US and UK)
- Tailored courses for independent study
My teaching strategy is to:
- Break down "overwhelming" challenges into manageable components, and show the student how they can succeed at several simple tasks;
- Convey an infectious enthusiasm for the satisfaction of mastering language building blocks. In this regard, Latin and Greek can be more enjoyable than spoken languages because mastering them is like playing a strategy game;
- Develop study skills for memorization and practice which will keep the student ahead of the game not only in the challenge of a dead language, but in many other disciplines requiring a long-term commitment. Once the student has demonstrated ability to themselves, develop a long-term plan for continued successful engagement in their course of study.
I have 25 students in the New York area ranging from ages 7 to 64, and fantastic references. While I do substitute teaching at some private schools, tutoring is my full time job and I am so fortunate to love it as much as I do. A common hurdle in learning the Classics is the long task of learning the language before you can enjoy all the brilliant and moving literature it has to offer.
My son is having a difficult time with first year Latin. Catharine is making great strides with him with her patience encouragement. He is starting to improve thanks to her efforts
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.