A common hurdle in learning the Classics is the long task of learning the language before you can enjoy all the brilliant and moving literature it has to offer. Sometimes students are even told they are "bad at" a language, before they have had the chance to achieve small accomplishments and look forward to bigger ones.
The way into Latin and Greek is confidence through mastering the building blocks of the languages, enjoying the "strategy game" aspect of translation, and learning how to understand a thrilling culture and literature which is much closer to our own than we often realize.
I offer the following services in Latin and Greek tutoring:
- Assistance for students currently enrolled in a Latin or Greek course
- Standardized test prep (US and UK)
- Tailored courses for independent study
My teaching strategy is to:
- Break down "overwhelming" challenges into manageable components, and show the student how they can succeed at several simple tasks;
- Convey an infectious enthusiasm for the satisfaction of mastering language building blocks. In this regard, Latin and Greek can be more enjoyable than spoken languages because mastering them is like playing a strategy game;
- Develop study skills for memorization and practice which will keep the student ahead of the game not only in the challenge of a dead language, but in many other disciplines requiring a long-term commitment. Once the student has demonstrated ability to themselves, develop a long-term plan for continued successful engagement in their course of study.
I have 25 students in the New York area ranging from ages 7 to 64, and fantastic references. While I do substitute teaching at some private schools, tutoring is my full time job and I am so fortunate to love it as much as I do. A common hurdle in learning the Classics is the long task of learning the language before you can enjoy all the brilliant and moving literature it has to offer. Sometimes students are even told they are "bad at" a language, before they have had the chance to achieve small accomplishments and look forward to bigger ones.
The way into
Catharine has been tutoring my daughter for Latin AP. Not only is she an expert in the subject, she knows the test very well. She designed a study plan focused on areas to be tested. I have utmost confidence that my daughter will be well-prepared. We intend to have Catharine continue to work with my daughter after the AP test, for the SAT II Latin test in June.
Catharine is great with scheduling, very accommodating. My daughter enjoys working with her, and looks forward to her weekly sessions.
My son is having a difficult time with first year Latin. Catharine is making great strides with him with her patience encouragement. He is starting to improve thanks to her efforts
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have a BA and MA from Oxford in Latin and Ancient Greek.
I have a BA and MA in Latin and Greek from Oxford.