Search

Cheryl O.

K-12 Tutor Reaching Students Who Learn Differently

K-12 Tutor Reaching Students Who Learn Differently

$40/hour

  • 3,507 hours tutoring

  • Bel Air, MD 21014

About Cheryl


Bio

I am a certified special educator with ten years of experience in the school system. As the parent of a gifted child with a disability, I understand that no two students process information the same way. As a teacher in a socioeconomically challenged demographic, I understand that in order to reach ALL students, one must strive to truly know EACH student.

While 80% of students may make progress with standard instructional delivery, I specialize not only in reaching the other 20% but also...

I am a certified special educator with ten years of experience in the school system. As the parent of a gifted child with a disability, I understand that no two students process information the same way. As a teacher in a socioeconomically challenged demographic, I understand that in order to reach ALL students, one must strive to truly know EACH student.

While 80% of students may make progress with standard instructional delivery, I specialize not only in reaching the other 20% but also in helping the 80% make even more progress. I use a thematic approach to teaching content; that is, I'm all about making it RELEVANT.

I have taught in all of the core content areas and have instructed at every level from kindergarten through adulthood. I am trained in a number of reading and math interventions. I am also a trained educational evaluator. As your child's tutor, I will look to make a connection and use it to free all the potential locked inside. I look forward to getting to know you and your child.


Policies

  • Hourly rate: $40
  • Rate details: A $40 fee will be assessed if you do not give advance notice of a cancellation.
  • Tutor’s lessons: In-person and online
  • Travel policy: Within 20 miles of Bel Air, MD 21014
  • Lesson cancellation: 4 hours notice required
  • Background check passed on 12/3/2014

  • Your first lesson is backed by our Good Fit Guarantee

Schedule

Loading...

Sun

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat


Subjects

Corporate Training

Grammar, Proofreading

Elementary Education

Elementary Math, Elementary Science, Grammar, Reading, Spelling, Vocabulary

English

ACT English, ACT Reading, English, Grammar, Proofreading, Reading, SAT Reading, SAT Writing, Spelling, Vocabulary, Writing

History

American History, Government & Politics

Homeschool

Algebra 1, Algebra 2, English, Geometry, Prealgebra, Reading, SAT Reading, Spelling, Writing

Math

ACT Math, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Prealgebra, Trigonometry

Most Popular

Algebra 1, Algebra 2, English, Geometry, Prealgebra, Reading, Writing

Other

Government & Politics

Science

ACT Science

Special Needs

ADHD,

ADHD

I am a certified special educator with 10 years of experience working with students with various disabilities, including ADHD. I am the parent of a 16 year old son who has ADHD. With my advocacy, a 504 plan was developed for him to help him access and make progress in the general education curriculum. I utilize chunking, checklists, a variety of activities, multi-modal instruction, and other strategies in order to reach students with attentional difficulties.
Special Needs

Special Needs

I am a certified special educator with 10 years of experience working with students with various disabilities. I am also the parent of a 16 year old son who has a disability. With my advocacy, a 504 plan was developed for him to help him access and make progress in the general education curriculum. I have assisted parents in requesting IEPs or 504s (as well as ensuring compliant implementation) for their children, providing them with the appropriate terminology and questions to ensure the most appropriate instruction for their children. I am well-versed in formal and informal educational/psychological assessments so that I can interpret where a deficit or discrepancy may lie. When working with special needs children I utilize instruction individually adapted to each child’s preferred learning modality and needs, behavior analysis and intervention, individualized accommodations, and other strategies in order to reach them and help them make progress.

Summer

Algebra 1, Algebra 2, GED, Geometry, Reading, Writing

Test Preparation

ACT English, ACT Math, ACT Reading, ACT Science, GED, PSAT, SAT Reading, SAT Writing

Resources

Cheryl has shared 2 answers and 1 article on Wyzant Resources.

Go to Cheryl’s resources

Ratings and Reviews


Rating

5.0 (1,277 ratings)
5 star
(1,245)
4 star
(29)
3 star
(3)
2 star
(0)
1 star
(0)

Reviews


Great and Takes Her Time With Lessons

She is an excellent and understanding tutor. She is really helping my daughter get better grades in her Algebra class.

Temi, 112 lessons with Cheryl

Great reading teacher, connects well with young student

My daughter warmed to her quickly and Cheryl’s experience, patience, and kindness was immediately apparent. My daughter starts kindergarten in September and is very excited about her lessons with Ms. Cheryl.

Catherine, 2 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

It was really fun to see her excitement as she realized she was READING! I look forward to our next session together!

Great Teacher!!!

My son has been struggling with Math and Cheryl is helping him to review and understand math concepts that he may have missed in 6th grade. My only regret is that we didn’t find her sooner!

Lakeshia, 3 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

I'm so happy he's finding it helpful! :-)

Great Session!

My son was very excited about the online lesson. The first time I have seen him leave a learning session with a huge smile on his face! This was our first experience with the online tutoring option and Cheryl made it very easy for us. Awesome!

Leona, 5 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

I am so glad! He was very eager to learn and he really is getting those critical thinking skills that will help him on Common Core assessments. Looking forward to working with him again!

Knowledgeable and patient tutor

Very helpful to student. Cheryl works with the classroom teacher's curriculum. Works with student assisting in test taking and reviews prior fundamentals and expands on learned functions.

Cindy, 61 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

Thanks so much! :-)

First Lesson with Cheryl

She had empathy and undestanding for children who have Learning Disabilities.She is very patient.Cheryl is very knowledgeable and is willing to do what it takes for your child to overcome,reach full potential. I am looking forward to more lesson for my son with her.

Cheryl, 11 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to seeing if your son's confidence improves because he gets the background on new topics, and if that translates to more completion and especially to him advocating for himself if he doesn't understand in some of his other classes.

Very patient teacher

My child has ADHD and loses focus quickly. Ms. Cheryl is able to bring her back to focus and also suggest supplementary work to fill in any gaps. Highly recommend her as a tutor!

Ayana, 14 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

Thank you so much! She is a pleasure to work with!

First lesson success

Finally we have a tutor! I really appreciate the notes about the session so I can understand what she is doing, and I try to reinforce the lesson at home.

Jennifer, 10 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

I'm so glad! She definitely needs only a little more guided practice than what she's able to get during the school day. :-)

Effective, knowledgable and patient tutor.

Teacher Cheryl agreed to tutor our son when he was struggling a lot with his academics. Organizing his thoughts and executing written works was, and still is, his weakness. With Teacher Cheryl's help, he grasped concepts and acquired techniques - specifically tailored to his needs; and gained confidence with his reading and writing. Within a few sessions with Ms. Cheryl, his grades improved dramatically, that he has been consistently making the honors' list. He thrives with Ms. Cheryl's guidance, and seeks her help when needing assistance with his other subjects; which with Ms. Cheryl's multiple expertise, allows her to oblige and cater to our son's tutoring needs. She maintains an easy, open and reliable, communication with parents as well. She is accomodating and flexible within reason, with our scheduling issues. We are so grateful and glad to have found her.

DOREEN, 63 lessons with Cheryl
Tutor responded:

Thank you! This makes me so happy!

Contact Cheryl

Response time: 1 hour

$40/hour

Cheryl O.

$40/hour

  • No subscriptions or upfront payments

  • Only pay for the time you need

  • Find the right fit, or your first hour is free

Contact Cheryl

Response time: 1 hour