1. ESL/ESOL- Private a/o Semi-Private lessons in English as a Second Language working with adult students wishing to seek jobs or enhance career options and assimilate into the American business culture. Focus is on Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. Additional Career Counseling support including resume preparation and review; interview skills; job-seeking techniques.
ENGLISH a/o ESL - College Students; High School Students; K-6; all levels of English for non-native speakers.
As a TEFL Certified Instructor, I have worked with international students/clients to improve their language skills in order to attend College in the U.S. or to advance their careers in various businesses. I focus on the specific requirements of the student in order to enhance English learning on an accelerated pace. My students have been from multiple countries around the world. (Cuba, Bolivia, Colombia, Viet Nam, Germany, Brazil, Romania, Japan, etc.)
2. English, Essay-writing; Reading; Vocabulary; History; Social Studies; K-12, Adults, College Prep...Whether you need assistance with specific subjects, Study Skills, SAT scores (esp. in reading/writing and test taking strategy), college applications or general homework supervision, I believe you will be pleased with my ability to engage and motivate you or your student to new levels of success.
I have developed unique tutoring skills tailored to the individual student. The results have been amazing: better grades; improved test scores; successful college applications and a higher overall level of achievement and self-esteem.
Additional background information:
1. College Graduate; BA French (extensive course work in most liberal arts subjects with a focus on writing, term/research papers, etc.)
2. Graduate studies at Harvard University in liberal arts and fine arts. Focus on research writing.
3. Certified TEFL Instructor; over 250 hours or education and ESL tutoring and teaching; specialty with Business English Learners and International College Students.
4. Coaching and tutoring high school students in most subjects, including: English, Essay Writing, Vocabulary, Term Papers, Test Preparation and Strategy, Social Studies, Geography, French, Organization skills.
5. Tutoring elementary and middle school students in English, geography, reading, spelling, vocabulary, test preparation, social studies, French, and science.
Originally from Boston, I have had a successful business career for over 25 years. However, my passion has also been working with students to help them achieve goals beyond their own personal expectations. My strengths are as follows:
1. Instilling confidence and self-esteem through steady improvement in academic achievements.
2. Promoting excellent organizational skills, time management skills and study habits (which is usually a big part of the problem - in many cases.)
3. Finding solutions unique to your specific student so that they begin to work smarter.
4. I have flexible hours and will make the extra effort to ensure success.
5. Depending on the level, I have sufficient experience to coach in most subjects.
6. I believe you will be pleased with my energy and enthusiasm and my dedication.
7. I have had several background checks as a result of my working with Foster Children.
Feel free to connect with me through the appropriate channels, and I will be happy to discuss your unique situation and help you find solutions for success.
Barbara 1. ESL/ESOL- Private a/o Semi-Private lessons in English as a Second Language working with adult students wishing to seek jobs or enhance career options and assimilate into the American business culture. Focus is on Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. Additional Career Counseling support including resume preparation and review; interview
Group rates subject to discount.
Very engaging speaking French lessons.
Barbara customized her materials and approach to our needs.
Very positive guidance. Fun, too.
Mrs. Barbara is the the most experience in English teaching business. I have seen my employee is getting much better day by day her english speak. Thanks a lot for that.
I spent a nice and productive time although was our first class; we were connected since the beginning and I felt comfortable to express my concerns about how to learn English language properly and how important for me is achieve this task in order to meet me goals. She ask me all the time what are me expectations in order to work together and made the class efficient, very professional & wise person; I think I will learn more than English with her. I will love to write more but as you could imagine if I could I will not be looking for tutoring.
As a Human Resources professional with a focus on recruiting, I have worked with hundreds of candidates every year who are making changes in their careers. As the Principal Consultant with an established Executive Recruiting firm, and a prior Head of Executive Recruiting and HR for a major Financial Institution, I know what hiring managers are looking for and how to maximize your potential.
Establishing goals and thinking strategically will result in excellent career choices and provide for a more fulfilled life!
Applying to college is a full time job! I have a college degree and have done graduate studies at an Ivy League university. I have worked in the world of college admissions offices.
Additionally, I have worked with successful college counselors at top-tier Private Secondary Schools and acquired the unique skills required to help your high school student consider and apply to college. Specific programs in which I participated included the process of researching and choosing a college; completing the applications; writing the essay; preparing for the college interview; evaluating the high school record (academic, athletic and extra-curricular) and organizing all of the information.
I have worked with many high school students who were accepted to multiple colleges throughout the country. I have personal knowledge of most colleges and universities in the country. I have also interacted with the high school's college counseling departments and their respective teachers to provide for a cohesive approach to my student's process. Finally, My specialties include:
Strategizing the high school course load
Deciding on SAT vs ACT; AP courses
Planning extra curricular activities
Planning the college visit; preparing for the interview
Organizing the process; creating a time line.
If you are overwhelmed with the process of applying to college, I would love to be of assistance.
I have extensive experience in tutoring K-6th, especially in the areas of Grammar, Reading, Writing, English, Reading Comprehension. I also have considerable experience in Social Studies, History, Geography, Science and Elementary Math. Many of my students have been between the ages of 5 - 12 and I have worked diligently on study skills and memorization skills with the result that they received much higher grades in school and gained more self-confidence. Typically I coordinate with the school and incorporate their curriculum with additional techniques and projects, so that each child/student clearly understands the lessons being learned and will successfully manage all quizzes and writing assignments. My undergraduate degree and graduate studies provided me with excellent tools to communicate with students so that they will learn the principles being addressed. Having worked with a diverse group of students, I have developed processes and an approach that the students typically enjoy. Most of all I try to make it fun so that the student approaches school and learning as a positive activity.
I have excellent knowledge and experience in all areas of English. Acquiring these skills will benefit all students, whether analyzing a book, writing about summer vacation, developing a blog or writing professionally. If your student is at elementary, middle-school, high school or college level, I have some unique strategies that will help in all aspects of English reading and writing.
Teaching English as a second language is a special interest to me, and I have continued my education in TEFL/ESL certification. Having studied many foreign languages myself, and having lived in a foreign country, I understand the difficulties in learning a new language. I have had excellent success working with international clients who have wanted to learn and/or improve their English speaking skills. My students have been Business professionals seeking to improve their communication and pronunciation as well as children and teenagers whose families are from non-US origins.
French major. Studied and lived in Paris. Achieved certification unique to the French language system. My strengths are as follows:
1. Communicate the grammar so that it is understood.
2. Assist with vocabulary memorization.
3. Work with pronunciation and the French accent.
4. Provide excellent test and quiz preparation to ensure optimal results.
The most important aspect of studying French is not only speaking another language, but having fun learning about another culture. This is where I shine - and so will your student.
My undergraduate and graduate studies in liberal arts exposed me to literature and writing assignments from a long and diverse list of authors and poets. I have worked with students of all ages, teaching them how to think critically about their respective reading assignments, and how to communicate their ideas in both written and verbal methods. My students include adults, high school and middle school students, who either have reading/writing assignments in school or are preparing for college entry exams. Most importantly, I try to expose my students to the joys of reading and how to appreciate different stories from varying points of view.
I have worked with many high school students on developing their essay writing skills to ensure that they achieve the highest possible scores not only on their SAT - but also on their writing assignments in school. There are unique strategies to use when taking the SAT writing test which I am happy to share with my students. I have helped many students improve their scores in many areas of the Verbal and Written part of the SAT through improved use of vocabulary, active reading techniques and taking many practice tests.
STUDY SKILLS FOR ALL LEVELS..
With a comprehensive undergraduate degree in Liberal Arts and Graduate work at an Ivy League university, I took courses specific to attaining efficiency in studying. These courses included step-by-step programs outlining the proper way to approach a class, outline the subject matter and succeed in the tests and essays.
Additionally, I worked closely with the Study Coaches from major Private Secondary schools in Massachusetts who conducted highly acclaimed study-skills courses for Middle School and High School students. As a result the students with whom I worked learned to study more efficiently and achieve success, in weekly tests, term papers, final exams and in improving college test scores.
For the Elementary Students, I worked closely with the teachers at both Private and Public schools to develop specific coaching skills for younger students to instill good learning habits early - guiding them to listen and to approach their studies with a positive attitude.
I have developed customized learning systems tailored to each child to provide the study skills required so that your child will learn how to study and how to apply his knowledge in the classroom and on tests.
1. Organization and time management skills, including organizing papers, binders, study planning and prioritizing goals.
2. Note-taking which includes methods in listening and asking questions; taking notes in class and from the text book and using the notes to write reports.
3. Reading comprehension strategies - especially how to take the reading portions of standardized tests.
4. Test preparation - both for multiple choice and essay tests.
5. Methods for conducting research to produce essays and term papers using primary and secondary sources.
6. Memorization techniques.
My goal is to instill self esteem and confidence which will result in better grades and a happier student. Plus, I make it fun!
My undergraduate and graduate studies in liberal arts exposed me to multiple writing assignments: creative writing, essays, historic and scientific writing. I have worked with students of all ages, teaching them how to think critically about their respective writing assignments, and how to communicate their ideas with elevated vocabulary, proper grammar and complex sentence structure - always supporting their information with primary and secondary sources. All high school and college students are required to use the 5-paragraph essay format which is not always easily understood, and I have developed unique strategies to assist students with their written homework. My students include adults, high school and middle school students, who either have reading/writing assignments in school or are preparing for college entry exams. Most importantly, I try to expose my students to the joys of writing and how to present different ideas and support their arguments.