Lou Gehrig

Lou Gehrig in his Columbia uniform

Birth and childhood

Henry Louis (“Lou”) Gehrig was born on June 19, 1903, to Heinrich and Christina
Gehrig. Son of German immigrants living in Manhattan’s East Harlem, Gehrig was the
only one of four children to survive childhood. Gehrig’s mother supported the family
financially, as Gehrig’s father was often sick and unable to work.

Education and entrance into baseball

When Gehrig was 17 years old and playing baseball for the New York School of Commerce,
he played a game in Cubs Park (Wrigley Field) and gained unprecedented attention,
as he appeared before 10,000 baseball fans. He graduated high school the following
year, and went on to study at Columbia University. When he started college, he was
advised by the football coach to play baseball under a false name in order to get
in shape for football. He was discovered; because this action was illegal, he was
banned from playing sports during his freshman year of college. During his sophomore
year, after he was allowed to play sports again, he played as a fullback on Columbia’s
football team. He also pitched and played first base for the Columbia Nine. In 1923,
Gehrig was signed to the Yankees with a $1500 bonus. He had to leave Columbia without
graduating; however, he hit a .304 while playing for the minors, and was called
up to the major league. He hit a .423 the following season.

Gehrig’s baseball records

By 1927, Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth were the two most dominant baseball players in
America. That same year, Ruth his 60 home runs, while Gehrig racked up 47 – second
only to Ruth’s record. Together, they helped the Yankees sweep the Pirates in the
World Series. Gehrig won the MVP award, and continued to dominate in 1928. As Ruth’s
ability to maintain such an active presence in baseball declined, Gehrig gradually
took his place. He continued to set records such as a lifetime batting average of
.340, as well as highest single season number of RBIs (184 in 1931). If Gehrig became
the “new Ruth,” then DiMaggio became the “new Gehrig.” Together, they led the Yankees
to one of the most successful runs yet: four seasons of four World Series titles,
we as well as only three games lost out of 19.

Lou Gehrig’s Disease

In 1938, it became clear that something wasn’t right, as Gehrig’s average fell below
.300 for the first time in over 10 years; he lacked strength. Teammates and coaches
all noticed that Gehrig had a serious problem; however, they waited for him to bring
it up. Doctors misdiagnosed him and put him on a bland, light diet to treat a gallbladder
issue, which only made the strength issue worse. Finally, after the first eight
games of 1939, Gehrig took himself out of the game. On May 2, 1939, he gave the
umpires the lineup card that did not include his name; the announcers grimly stated
that “Lou Gehrig’s consecutive streak of 2130 games played has ended.”

After this rude realization, Gehrig headed up to Mayo Clinic, where he was diagnosed
with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which later became known as Lou Gehrig’s
Disease. The disease is degenerative and debilitating, as it attacks the nerve cells
in the brain and spinal cord. Eventually, the affected person cannot breathe on
his or her own; death is implicit.

Farewell to baseball

After being diagnosed with this horrible disease, Gehrig knew that he would never
return to baseball. He was 36 years old at the time. Although Gehrig’s wife, Eleanor,
asked Mayo Clinic to keep the extensive details of Gehrig’s illness from him, he
still knew he was slowly dying. On June 21, 1939, the Yankees officially announced
Gehrig’s retirement, and July 4 was named “Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day” at Yankee
Stadium. The Yankees also retired his uniform number (4); Gehrig was the first athlete
in MLB to be given that honor.

On July 4, Gehrig addressed the crowd, giving his farewell speech. He detailed
why he was the “luckiest man alive.” He expressed great humility in detailing the
gratitude he felt at being able to spend a significant amount of time playing ball
with such talented people. He closed by saying that although he may have “been given
a bad break,” that he still had “an awful lot to live for.” He was not terribly
upset about his circumstance, and sincerely hoped for the best.

About six months before he died, Gehrig accepted a ten year term as a NYC Parole
Commissioner. He had turned down other offers (public speaking and guest appearances),
but took the position of parole commissioner because he believed it to be a public
service. Gehrig died on June 2, 1941 at his home in the Bronx. New York flags, as
well as flags at ballparks nationwide, were flown at half-staff in honor of Gehrig’s

You can follow the link to hear
Lou Gehrig’s farewell to baseball

Scroll to Top