How Do I Know If My Child Needs an Educational Therapist?

Who is an Educational Therapist?

Children who benefit from combining their visual (perception), listening (or auditory perception) and tactile (fine-motor) abilities to practice, retain and recall for future tasks, usually do well with an professional educator. An educational therapist usually has a Master's in Education or Special Education from a well recognized college or university. Their experience includes visual-motor integration, auditory processing, and other perceptual skills. Short-term sequential memory, working memory, use of mnemonic and other strategies are combined with the best-evidenced reading, writing, and math programs, as well as all language-arts remediation and enhancement. A professional educational therapist may be a Board-Certified Educational Therapist by "The Association of Educational Therapists", for example. Many educational therapists have Ph.D.'s, and/or psychotherapy licenses. Thus, self-esteem and other emotionally-related difficulties are addressed along with academic disabilities.

On the other hand, if your child does well working with a tutor or college student who has little to no background skills listed above as special needs, then a child's age and grade level ability may be adequate. As a rule of thumb, students who have not improved with a regular tutor after an adequate period of time (perhaps--six months to one year) may indeed respond to a change in tutor to someone with experience in special education.



Connie W.

UCLA Special Educator Teaches Strategies for Self-Tutoring

50+ hours
if (isMyPost) { }