The topic bridging sentence provides a smooth topical transition from one idea to another for the reader. It is a segue of ideas and allows for a logically relevant transition. The topic bridge sentence also challenges you as a writer to relate and connect your ideas between paragraphs in order to have a cohesive paper.Topic bridging sentences are the first sentence in body paragraphs of an essay.
- What is the main idea of the preceding body paragraph?
- What is the main idea of the following body paragraph?
- How are they related?
- Similar pattern/trend
- Share a feature
- Chronologically related
- Basic Topic Bridge Sentence
- “In addition to <main idea from paragraph one>, such and such also was influenced/affected by <main idea from paragraph two>.”
- Complex Topic Bridge Sentences
- Connect the ideas from the two paragraphs in a more global fashion. Explain how they are inter-twined or how they work together to support your overall thesis.
If you would like one-on-one, personalized tutoring to help you develop skill in writing topic bridging sentences and to improve your overall persuasive writing, consider scheduling a lesson with the author of this post.