1. Get outside the box, or seat rather, and move! Incorporating kinestetic activities can help any learner stay focused for a longer period of time. With younger students I like to use quick directional games: Simon Says, Search the Area...etc. For older students a few stretches would help get those juices flowing again.
2. Use materials and topics that are of interest to the particular student.
3. Stay a their level and just beyond..pushing too far too fast only leads to discouragement.
4. Enjoy the strengths of that student
5. Take the time to plan the secession well.