I have been working in the field of education for the past 5 years. I can tell you that one hugely under utilized resource is to find out what kind of learner you are: visual, auditory, or kinesthetic.
Here is a great online quiz to find out which type of learner you are:
Once you find out what type or types of learner you are, try some of these unusual learning tips!
- Color-code your notes or flash cards by topic (e.g. blue for mitosis and pink for meiosis)
- Retype notes to review the information. Use lots of bold print, underlining, italics, highlighting, and bullet points to format important topics.
- Audio-record class lectures to review and summarize them later
- Read material out loud and practice verbal repetition to learn new words and concepts
- Stretch and walk around when studying
- Study in short blocks of time rather than extended periods
"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying."