There are two things that happen to the brain during the summer: either it gets smarter, or it gets dumber. If you work on making it smarter this summer, then you'll have a stress free school year when it comes.
To help you on your path of smart awesomeness, I have put together this list of 5 ways to get summer this summer.
- Video Games: Your mom is wrong. You should play video games. Show her this YouTube video the next time she gets on your case: Jane McGonigal: The Game that Can Give You 10 Extra Years
- Exercise Play: Your mom is right. To become smarter, your brain needs oxygen. The only way to get oxygen to your brain is to move your body. But don't do something as lame as exercising. Get out there and find something fun. To tell you the truth, I'm such a geek that I like to walk trails while reading my Kindle or listening to music. Nature is lame. But, if you are into sports, that will work. Honestly, if you are lazy, then 30 minutes of walking around the block will do the trick.
- Khan Academy: This is like push-ups for your brain. Don't go all crazy and try to do 5 hours a day. Do just 15-30 minutes a day and you will destroy everybody in your math class the next year. You want to know a little secret? I'm a math teacher and I still do a little Khan Academy every once in awhile.
- Eat: Smartness isn't just about books. It's a combination of physical, mental, and emotional. To keep your physical state at peak mental ninja level, make sure to chow down on all the summer ripe fruit this summer. Fruit has healthy sugar. Your brain uses sugar to think. The more fruit you eat, the more you can think.
- Sleep: This is the one that everyone forgets! You don't get smarter while learning. You actually get smarter while sleeping. Actually, if you're not sleeping enough, then you basically just wasted your time. Your brain will remember NOTHING! So take advantage of not having to wake up for school and stay in bed until your body says its ready. I remember staying up until 5:00 a.m. when I was in high school, but you're smarter than me and won't do that...right?