Recently, a student of mine approached me with a problem. She was taking an online class, but the assignments were confusing and complicated. Listen to this: Write an APA formatted paper (she had never used APA format, only MLA format!) about your Intelligences based on Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences giving examples (direct quotes, which need to be cited) of how you will adapt to online classes based on this information.
The problems were, the text she was assigned did not give much information about Gardner or Multiple Intelligence Theory. It also did not give her a "personality test" on which to base her paper. On top of that, there was NO information about how to write in APA format.
Here are the steps we took:
1. Online research: What is Multiple Intelligence Theory
2. Take online "multiple intelligence" assessment: what am I?
3. Take notes about her intelligence types - what are the strengths and weaknesses
4. Use those notes to make paragraphs about her types - what they mean and how she could adapt to online.
We also found direct quotes from the text to use at this step.
5. Online research: What is APA format and how to do it (Purdue OWL was very helpful!)
6. Write the paper - the body paragraphs then the intro, then the conclusion
7. Insert quotes, and format in APA style.
8. Get an A on the project!