Four times the square of a number is 45 more than eight times the number. What is the number?
The answer is tricky but it is -5/2 & 9/2.
This is an algebraic formula in the form of words. It looks like this, 4x2 = 45 + 8x. I will breakdown how I got to the formula below.
1. four times a number means 4 times x because we do not know what "the number" is (4x)
2. the unknown number or 'x' is squared because the question says, "the square of a number" (4x2)
3. the word 'is' typically indicates "equal to" (4x2 =)
4. the 45 given (4x2 = 45)
5. the words, 'more than' typically mean to add to something so that is where the addition comes from (4x2 = 45 +)
6. "8 times the number" refers to 8 times the same number that was spoken of in the first part of the question (4x2 = 45 + 8x)
7. Now that we have the equation, we can solve for x.