Search
Jill J.'s Photo

Over 15 yrs exp tutoring: Kindergarten thru University
Jill J.

384 hours tutoring

Your first lesson is backed by our Good Fit Guarantee

Hourly Rate: $65
Jill J.'s Photo

Over 15 yrs exp tutoring: Kindergarten thru University
Over 15 yrs exp tutoring: Kindergarten thru University
Jill J.

384 hours tutoring

Your first lesson is backed by our Good Fit Guarantee

384 hours tutoring

Your first lesson is backed by our Good Fit Guarantee

About Jill


Bio

I graduated from the University of Washington when I was 45 years old. My BA is in women studies with an emphasis on women's health. I have been tutoring for 15+ years at community colleges, the UW and privately. I have a strong background in English, writing, biology, anatomy and physiology, algebra (I received an 4.0 in precalculus, but I don't feel that I would be the best tutor in math past algebra), psychology, vocabulary, history, spelling, literature and study skills. I have worked...

I graduated from the University of Washington when I was 45 years old. My BA is in women studies with an emphasis on women's health. I have been tutoring for 15+ years at community colleges, the UW and privately. I have a strong background in English, writing, biology, anatomy and physiology, algebra (I received an 4.0 in precalculus, but I don't feel that I would be the best tutor in math past algebra), psychology, vocabulary, history, spelling, literature and study skills. I have worked with students from kindergarten to college level. I have also worked with children who have learning dosabilities, such as ADD, ADHD and autism. I enjoy coming up with creative ideas so the student enjoys the process of learning. My three children are college graduates (son with general studies degree, daughter with history degree and another daughter with a double degree in English and Theology). My children and their friends utilized my skills in writing on a regular basis. I love teaching one on one. I also Specialize in test prep for admission to higher education and military, as well as, class exams. I also tutor students from any other country needing help with ESL. I love to edit anything from class papers, thesis presentation, programs and books.


Education

University of Washington
Women's Health
Seattle University
Graduate Coursework

Policies

  • Tutor’s lessons: In-person
  • Hourly Rate: $65
  • Rate details: I charge $65 an hour plus travel expenses depending on the distance I drive. If you come to my house I do not charge for travel.
  • Travel policy: Within 22 miles of Seattle, WA 98166
  • Lesson cancellation: 12 hours notice required
  • Background check passed on 7/14/2014

  • Your first lesson is backed by our Good Fit Guarantee

Schedule

Loading...

Sun

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat


Subjects

Corporate Training

ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Proofreading,

Proofreading

Over 20 years as a proofreader. I worked for the Writing Lab at South Seattle Community College. I have also been an editor for a program my Pastor was writing the classroom book and the workbook. I have worked as subcontractor for 5 different tutor companies. I now have my own practice since I edit my children’s University papers, and it gave birth to my personal practice by my children’s friends who were attending the same Universities. Since then, I have edited a PhD proposal.
Grammar

Elementary Education

Elementary (K-6th),

Elementary (K-6th)

I have been tutoring children in every grade in all the elementary subjects over the past 10 years. I am proficient in reading, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, math, science and social studies/history. I have successfully helped each student reach his grade level or beyond. I have tutored a couple of students for their entire elementary career (They are in 2nd and 3rd grade now and I started with each of them in kindergarten). I have tutored other children for a full school year and through the summer getting their skills up to speed. I love watching the light go on when the "get" something. And it is a blessing for me to be part of their blossoming self-esteem. Can you tell? I love tutoring the young students as much as middle school, high school and college. Each have it's own unique joy.
Elementary Math,

Elementary Math

I have been tutoring math for the past 15 years, from elementary math to Algebra. It is great fun for me. I especially enjoy retracing steps to find out where a child got lost in math. It is easy for a child to get lost if he has missed even one elementary step. This can keep a child from understanding anything after that. It is so much fun to watch a child excited to solve problems after that.
Reading,

Reading

I have been tutoring younger children for over 15 years. Elementary Children are so much fun to tutor. They are like little sponges. I have tutored children with ADD, ADHD and varying levels of autism. I spend time not only teaching, but getting to know your child and in what ways they learn the best. I can personalize and structure my teaching method so that they succeed and develop self esteem and feelings of accomplishment and success.
Study Skills,

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.
Elementary Science, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary

English

English,

English

I am lovingly called by my kids the ‘grammar police’. They knew where to get help in every section of English. I have been tutoring professionally for 20 years. Unofficial helper for my kids’ and their colleagues in University. I would do some editing and show them that a paragraph goes better in a new place, or tell them how a conclusion is supposed to be written. Before I was helping the students at UI, SPU, and SU, I was a UW graduate. I started my university career in my mid forties. Almost every class I took required writing papers. My writing was being honed by wonderful professors who would push me. Since then I have edited a PhD thesis, edited the workbook for my pastor’s seminar and tutored a women who had gotten her master’s degree, but was told by her bosses that she needed to learn to write professionally. Her bosses put her into a more powerful job after working with me. And I love teaching you children starting in Kindergarten. I have tutored students in every grade, and for the SAT I and ACT. I know what kids need to know before taking those college entrance exams.
ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Proofreading,

Proofreading

Over 20 years as a proofreader. I worked for the Writing Lab at South Seattle Community College. I have also been an editor for a program my Pastor was writing the classroom book and the workbook. I have worked as subcontractor for 5 different tutor companies. I now have my own practice since I edit my children’s University papers, and it gave birth to my personal practice by my children’s friends who were attending the same Universities. Since then, I have edited a PhD proposal.
Reading,

Reading

I have been tutoring younger children for over 15 years. Elementary Children are so much fun to tutor. They are like little sponges. I have tutored children with ADD, ADHD and varying levels of autism. I spend time not only teaching, but getting to know your child and in what ways they learn the best. I can personalize and structure my teaching method so that they succeed and develop self esteem and feelings of accomplishment and success.
Writing,

Writing

I have been tutoring students of all ages, elementary kids through college and graduate school adults, for over 20 years. My strengths include: writing techniques, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and all essentials to well written papers. With young students, I encourage creative ideas and critical thinking. I want my students to feel supported, challenged and successful. I especially want my younger students to have fun, so that English and writing become enjoyable. I started teaching writing when my children were in elementary school. I developed an individual writing program for each grade, which I went on to teach in each of their classrooms as a parent volunteer. In the early 2000's, I was a tutor in the writing department at South Seattle Community College. I also volunteered my time as a tutor when I was earning my BA at the UW. I have been a tutor for 5 different Tutoring Companies since 2005. During that time I have tutored more than 100 students.
ACT English, ACT Reading, Grammar, Literature, SAT Reading, SAT Writing, Spelling, Vocabulary

History

American History,

American History

I am a history buff, esp in early American History and how the country was built to where we are now - good or bad. My daughter had her degree in History. I learned so much from tutoring her; it added depth to the history I learned when I got my BA. I have a degree in Women Studies. I designed my own degree track: reproduction rights and history. There are so many factions of History, and it is great fun when I can add another puzzle piece in my understanding of the resiliency in the events and people in America History.
Social Studies,

Social Studies

I graduated from the University of Washington when I was 45 years old. My BA is in women studies. I have been tutoring students in elementary, middle school and high school social studies classes for 10+ years. I enjoy it very much. I find it easy to teach these current event and history classes. I enjoy teaching about the different cultures in the world and how interconnected we are globally. I have been known to make each sub subject under the social studies umbrella easy to understand. I use mnemonics to help students memorize dates and chronological events. Thank you. Jill J.
European History, Geography

Homeschool

Algebra 1,

Algebra 1

I have a strong background in Algebra 1 - I have either been studying the subject or teaching it for 25 years. I enjoy teaching it so much! It is fun for me.
Elementary (K-6th),

Elementary (K-6th)

I have been tutoring children in every grade in all the elementary subjects over the past 10 years. I am proficient in reading, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, math, science and social studies/history. I have successfully helped each student reach his grade level or beyond. I have tutored a couple of students for their entire elementary career (They are in 2nd and 3rd grade now and I started with each of them in kindergarten). I have tutored other children for a full school year and through the summer getting their skills up to speed. I love watching the light go on when the "get" something. And it is a blessing for me to be part of their blossoming self-esteem. Can you tell? I love tutoring the young students as much as middle school, high school and college. Each have it's own unique joy.
English,

English

I am lovingly called by my kids the ‘grammar police’. They knew where to get help in every section of English. I have been tutoring professionally for 20 years. Unofficial helper for my kids’ and their colleagues in University. I would do some editing and show them that a paragraph goes better in a new place, or tell them how a conclusion is supposed to be written. Before I was helping the students at UI, SPU, and SU, I was a UW graduate. I started my university career in my mid forties. Almost every class I took required writing papers. My writing was being honed by wonderful professors who would push me. Since then I have edited a PhD thesis, edited the workbook for my pastor’s seminar and tutored a women who had gotten her master’s degree, but was told by her bosses that she needed to learn to write professionally. Her bosses put her into a more powerful job after working with me. And I love teaching you children starting in Kindergarten. I have tutored students in every grade, and for the SAT I and ACT. I know what kids need to know before taking those college entrance exams.
ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Prealgebra,

Prealgebra

I have tutored pre algebra for 20 years. I have worked for 5 tutoring companies, sometimes simultaneously. I tutored in the math lab at SSCC for 2 years. I got a 4.0 in each class: algebra through precalculus in college.
Reading,

Reading

I have been tutoring younger children for over 15 years. Elementary Children are so much fun to tutor. They are like little sponges. I have tutored children with ADD, ADHD and varying levels of autism. I spend time not only teaching, but getting to know your child and in what ways they learn the best. I can personalize and structure my teaching method so that they succeed and develop self esteem and feelings of accomplishment and success.
Study Skills,

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.
Writing,

Writing

I have been tutoring students of all ages, elementary kids through college and graduate school adults, for over 20 years. My strengths include: writing techniques, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and all essentials to well written papers. With young students, I encourage creative ideas and critical thinking. I want my students to feel supported, challenged and successful. I especially want my younger students to have fun, so that English and writing become enjoyable. I started teaching writing when my children were in elementary school. I developed an individual writing program for each grade, which I went on to teach in each of their classrooms as a parent volunteer. In the early 2000's, I was a tutor in the writing department at South Seattle Community College. I also volunteered my time as a tutor when I was earning my BA at the UW. I have been a tutor for 5 different Tutoring Companies since 2005. During that time I have tutored more than 100 students.
Biology, SAT Reading, Spelling

Language

ESL/ESOL

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best

Math

Algebra 1,

Algebra 1

I have a strong background in Algebra 1 - I have either been studying the subject or teaching it for 25 years. I enjoy teaching it so much! It is fun for me.
Prealgebra

Prealgebra

I have tutored pre algebra for 20 years. I have worked for 5 tutoring companies, sometimes simultaneously. I tutored in the math lab at SSCC for 2 years. I got a 4.0 in each class: algebra through precalculus in college.

Most Popular

Algebra 1,

Algebra 1

I have a strong background in Algebra 1 - I have either been studying the subject or teaching it for 25 years. I enjoy teaching it so much! It is fun for me.
Elementary (K-6th),

Elementary (K-6th)

I have been tutoring children in every grade in all the elementary subjects over the past 10 years. I am proficient in reading, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, math, science and social studies/history. I have successfully helped each student reach his grade level or beyond. I have tutored a couple of students for their entire elementary career (They are in 2nd and 3rd grade now and I started with each of them in kindergarten). I have tutored other children for a full school year and through the summer getting their skills up to speed. I love watching the light go on when the "get" something. And it is a blessing for me to be part of their blossoming self-esteem. Can you tell? I love tutoring the young students as much as middle school, high school and college. Each have it's own unique joy.
English,

English

I am lovingly called by my kids the ‘grammar police’. They knew where to get help in every section of English. I have been tutoring professionally for 20 years. Unofficial helper for my kids’ and their colleagues in University. I would do some editing and show them that a paragraph goes better in a new place, or tell them how a conclusion is supposed to be written. Before I was helping the students at UI, SPU, and SU, I was a UW graduate. I started my university career in my mid forties. Almost every class I took required writing papers. My writing was being honed by wonderful professors who would push me. Since then I have edited a PhD thesis, edited the workbook for my pastor’s seminar and tutored a women who had gotten her master’s degree, but was told by her bosses that she needed to learn to write professionally. Her bosses put her into a more powerful job after working with me. And I love teaching you children starting in Kindergarten. I have tutored students in every grade, and for the SAT I and ACT. I know what kids need to know before taking those college entrance exams.
ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Prealgebra,

Prealgebra

I have tutored pre algebra for 20 years. I have worked for 5 tutoring companies, sometimes simultaneously. I tutored in the math lab at SSCC for 2 years. I got a 4.0 in each class: algebra through precalculus in college.
Reading,

Reading

I have been tutoring younger children for over 15 years. Elementary Children are so much fun to tutor. They are like little sponges. I have tutored children with ADD, ADHD and varying levels of autism. I spend time not only teaching, but getting to know your child and in what ways they learn the best. I can personalize and structure my teaching method so that they succeed and develop self esteem and feelings of accomplishment and success.
Study Skills,

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.
Writing,

Writing

I have been tutoring students of all ages, elementary kids through college and graduate school adults, for over 20 years. My strengths include: writing techniques, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and all essentials to well written papers. With young students, I encourage creative ideas and critical thinking. I want my students to feel supported, challenged and successful. I especially want my younger students to have fun, so that English and writing become enjoyable. I started teaching writing when my children were in elementary school. I developed an individual writing program for each grade, which I went on to teach in each of their classrooms as a parent volunteer. In the early 2000's, I was a tutor in the writing department at South Seattle Community College. I also volunteered my time as a tutor when I was earning my BA at the UW. I have been a tutor for 5 different Tutoring Companies since 2005. During that time I have tutored more than 100 students.
Biology

Other

College Counseling,

College Counseling

I have tutored many students who are applying for college. Ken L was one of them (3 year WyzAnt student - he is a sophomore at Western University now). We spent many weeks outlining, writing, revising, editing his admissions essay. The finished product was stellar and Ken was accepted to the college of his choice. He is just one example. My experience with college counseling includes tutoring students applying for the UW nursing school, colleges, and universities for undergraduate and graduate schools. I help the student sort through their strengths and weaknesses and help them decide on the colleges that best serve their lifestyle, career choice and location. I would like to continue to do that work as I find it very rewarding.
ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Study Skills,

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.
Geography

Science

ACT Science, Biology, Ecology, Geology, Physical Science

Special Needs

Study Skills

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.

Summer

Algebra 1,

Algebra 1

I have a strong background in Algebra 1 - I have either been studying the subject or teaching it for 25 years. I enjoy teaching it so much! It is fun for me.
Elementary (K-6th),

Elementary (K-6th)

I have been tutoring children in every grade in all the elementary subjects over the past 10 years. I am proficient in reading, grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, math, science and social studies/history. I have successfully helped each student reach his grade level or beyond. I have tutored a couple of students for their entire elementary career (They are in 2nd and 3rd grade now and I started with each of them in kindergarten). I have tutored other children for a full school year and through the summer getting their skills up to speed. I love watching the light go on when the "get" something. And it is a blessing for me to be part of their blossoming self-esteem. Can you tell? I love tutoring the young students as much as middle school, high school and college. Each have it's own unique joy.
ESL/ESOL,

ESL/ESOL

I have been tutoring ESL for over 15 years to students from a multitude countries. I have been 98% successful. The other 2% did not want to work outside of home. I love tutoring other nationalities because I learn something too. ESL students are the best
Reading,

Reading

I have been tutoring younger children for over 15 years. Elementary Children are so much fun to tutor. They are like little sponges. I have tutored children with ADD, ADHD and varying levels of autism. I spend time not only teaching, but getting to know your child and in what ways they learn the best. I can personalize and structure my teaching method so that they succeed and develop self esteem and feelings of accomplishment and success.
Study Skills,

Study Skills

I have been tutoring students in Middle School, High School, and college for the past 10 years. I have recently studied a specific program which is high on giving the student specific actions to use to improve their skill. As well as that, the program is low on difficulty or tons of homework assignments. It is methodical and helps make beneficial changes in the way the student studies.
Writing,

Writing

I have been tutoring students of all ages, elementary kids through college and graduate school adults, for over 20 years. My strengths include: writing techniques, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and all essentials to well written papers. With young students, I encourage creative ideas and critical thinking. I want my students to feel supported, challenged and successful. I especially want my younger students to have fun, so that English and writing become enjoyable. I started teaching writing when my children were in elementary school. I developed an individual writing program for each grade, which I went on to teach in each of their classrooms as a parent volunteer. In the early 2000's, I was a tutor in the writing department at South Seattle Community College. I also volunteered my time as a tutor when I was earning my BA at the UW. I have been a tutor for 5 different Tutoring Companies since 2005. During that time I have tutored more than 100 students.
Biology, GED

Test Preparation

College Counseling,

College Counseling

I have tutored many students who are applying for college. Ken L was one of them (3 year WyzAnt student - he is a sophomore at Western University now). We spent many weeks outlining, writing, revising, editing his admissions essay. The finished product was stellar and Ken was accepted to the college of his choice. He is just one example. My experience with college counseling includes tutoring students applying for the UW nursing school, colleges, and universities for undergraduate and graduate schools. I help the student sort through their strengths and weaknesses and help them decide on the colleges that best serve their lifestyle, career choice and location. I would like to continue to do that work as I find it very rewarding.
ACT English, ACT Reading, ACT Science, ASVAB, GED, PSAT, SAT Reading, SAT Writing

Examples of Expertise


Jill has provided examples of their subject expertise by answering 7 questions submitted by students on Wyzant’s Ask an Expert.

Ratings and Reviews


Rating

4.7 (18 ratings)
5 star
(13)
4 star
(4)
3 star
(1)
2 star
(0)
1 star
(0)

Reviews

Kind and patient tutor

Jill was very kind and patient while helping my grandson with a difficult subject. I appreciate her demeanor and kindness. It was nice to find a tutor on such a quick basis who was willing to help us. It's a relief to have people able to help when you need them. Thank you!

Teri, 1 lesson with Jill
Hourly Rate: $65
Contact Jill