Experienced Tutor Undergraduate Coursework and ESL Content
Experienced Tutor Undergraduate Coursework and ESL Content
My interest in providing academic support to students began while studying for my Associate Degree in Arts at Houston Community College in the fall of 2003. I was hired as an Academic Tutor to help first-generation college students stay enrolled in college and earn a two-year degree. Several of the students that I worked with graduated with their two-year degree, and went on to earn their bachelor's degree. Working with first generation college students remains one of the...
My interest in providing academic support to students began while studying for my Associate Degree in Arts at Houston Community College in the fall of 2003. I was hired as an Academic Tutor to help first-generation college students stay enrolled in college and earn a two-year degree. Several of the students that I worked with graduated with their two-year degree, and went on to earn their bachelor's degree. Working with first generation college students remains one of the most memorable and awesome experiences of my life. I have obtained more than 17 years of experience in the field of education providing academic support to both undergraduate and graduate students, since my first academic job role.
On the WyzAnt platform, I generally provide assistance in the following three areas:
1) I provide assistance to UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS working on their Associate in Art or Associate in Science, who need help with Communication/Essay Writing Coursework such as (English 1301 and English 1302) and all Psychology 1000-2000 level Course Work such as (Intro to Psychology, General Psychology, Child Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, and Social Psychology, etc.).
2) As an English as a Second Language (ESL) volunteer tutor for 1 YEAR with the Literacy Council of Fort Bend, I can assist ESL STUDENTS with improving their reading, writing, conversation, and basic computer skills by preparing weekly goals, and selecting specific ESL teaching material and strategies that are aligned with student ability, level of English proficiency, and individual learning style.
3) As a former Academic Mentor and Academic Advisor at Sam Houston State University, I can assist students with short and long-term CAREER OBJECTIVES which includes developing a RESUME, COVER LETTER, NETWORKING STRATEGIES, and EXPLORATION of VOLUNTEER and INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES which research proves can lead to full-time employment in the desired career field.
My Tutor/Teaching Styles:
1) DEMONSTRATIVE: The teacher/tutor imparts information to the students via lectures, assigned readings, audio/visual presentations, demonstrations, role playing, and other means. Students gain information primarily by listening, taking notes, doing role plays, and practicing what they are told to do. The only feedback the teacher looks for is “Do you understand the instructions?”
2) DISCUSSING: The teacher/tutor promotes learning through interaction. In this style, practiced by Socrates, the teacher encourages critical thinking and lively discussion by asking students to respond to challenging questions. The teacher is a facilitator guiding the discussion to a logical conclusion. Students learn to have opinions and to back them up with facts and data.
3) DELEGATING: The teacher/tutor promotes learning through empowerment. With this style, the teacher assigns tasks that students work on independently, either individually or in groups.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me. I look forward to the possibility of working with you to achieve your Academic, English Language, or Career Development Goals.
Ms. Devril, has been a great tutor. She has helped me a great deal in my writing and has given me great feedback. I am really excited to keep working with Ms. Devril.Amy, 4 lessons with Ms. Devril
Very professional tutor
From the first lesson with her, I was able to find that she's very professional and thorough in details. I already got lots of help. Strongly recommend her! And she's very responsive, too.Heejae, 1 lesson with Ms. Devril
Best Tutor Ever
the best tutor in the world patient, understanding, and motivation out of this world. Had my first tutoring session yesterday with Ms. Devril and I love her already and expect to be working with her until I graduate and as well as in graduate school.Jessica, 7 lessons with Ms. Devril
Ms. Devril W. is the perfect tutor, the one we dream about. She has many different skills to help me improving, such as practice academic listening and reading online. Also she recommended activities to enhance my vocabulary and my writing. The most important thing she has been doing during our time together is supporting and encouraging me to focus on my goals and never give up. I am feeling lucky to have your lessons. Thank you!!!Lilia, 7 lessons with Ms. Devril
Very Efficient, Patient, Flexible, Honest, Positive
My first tutoring session with Ms. Devril overall was a great experience. I plan on continuing to work with her throughout my graduate program. She and I will work closely together to improve my writing skills. I was very impressed with the improvements we made within our first session on a rough draft copy of my paper. One of the reasons I feel that my first session with Ms. Devril was a success, she was able to quickly identify my level of writing skills and work at a pace that was comfortable for me. She also recognized my strengths and areas for improvement. She provided honest feedback and training material that will help to improve my writing. What was also impressive is her wisdom and ability to work with students of any education level, profession, or program to meet their needs. She is easy to reach, flexible, and always willing to extend help. She also has very good timing when it comes to followup and feedback. I feel that I can count on her as my tutor, even if I need her help at the last minute. I feel that by working with Ms. Devril, my writing skills will improve drastically.DeAundrea, 1 lesson with Ms. Devril
Response time: 3 hours