Send Patrick a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Patrick or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
Trinity University (Marketing, Int'l Bus)
Wheaton College (Master's)
Beijing Foreign Studies University (Other)
Ni hao (Hello),
I have a passion for the Chinese language and for teaching about China - people, culture, food and of course language! With over 12 years' experience living and working in China, I might be a great fit to be your Mandarin Chinese tutor.
Some highlights of my journey:
- Grew up in Spring (Houston area)
- Majored in Business, Minored in Chinese at Trinity University, San Antonio
- 1998 Studied in Taiwan (and loved it)
- 2001-04 Taught in a university in China (Shandong Province)
- 2004 - graduated from Wheaton College with MA in Intercultural Studies
- 2004-05 studied Mandarin at Beijing Foreign Studies University
- 2005-06 worked in Shenzhen, China for a MNC called Global Sources
- 2006-13 started several businesses in Southern China in transportation, quality control, sourcing, manufacturing and tutored English and Mandarin to both Chinese and expats.
I tutor using a 4-step pedagogy including:
- Introduction of new material
- Performance in real world settings
I believe that as an American who has learned Chinese at a professional level, I have a unique insight on the nuances and struggles that learners of Chinese as a second language face. My first Chinese teacher was non-Chinese and it was a huge advantage for me to learn through his experience.
I am searching for students with the following characteristics:
- who have an interest in China and the Chinese language - whether oral or written.
- need to develop Mandarin skills for interaction in the marketplace
- want to understand Chinese etiquette
- are traveling to China and want to conduct themselves as an acceptable outsider
- want a deeper understanding of China and the Chinese
My pledge to you: I will be:
- passionate about your learning
- flexible to customize learning content to your needs
- inspiring for you to reach your language goals
If you feel like I might be a good fit as your Mandarin tutor, please contact me.
Patrick B. Ni hao (Hello),
I have a passion for the Chinese language and for teaching about China - people, culture, food and of course language! With over 12 years' experience living and working in China, I might be a great fit to
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have been studying Mandarin as a second language for 17 years, have received a minor in the language, and have been using it in China as a primary language for the past 10 years while living in China. I studied formally at Beijing Foreign Studies University and have been tutoring students in China and the US for 7 years. I believe in the present, practice, perform, perfect 4-stage language learning method and can customize studies to the needs of the student.
Patrick B. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Patrick, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.