Empire State College (Physics)
In college I majored in physics and minored in mathematics. I have also studied electronics, auto mechanics, and HVAC and graduated in all of those programs. My professional background is mainly in the areas of engineering and electronics. I have taken and passed all of the CST #4, LAST, and ATSW for New York state teacher certification exams last year. I have served as a substitute teacher on a few occasions substituting for Math teaching in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades.
I tutor elementary and high school math. If you have a need for help to improve your algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus skills, I am available to provide you with the services. In college I majored in physics and minored in mathematics. I have also studied electronics, auto mechanics, and HVAC and graduated in all of those programs. My professional background is mainly in the areas of engineering and electronics. I have taken and passed all of the CST #4, LAST, and ATSW for New York state teacher certification exams last
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
In college I majored in physics and minored in mathematics. I have also studied electronics, auto mechanics, and HVAC and graduated in all of those programs. My professional background is mainly in the areas of engineering and electronics. I have taken and passed all of the CST #4, LAST, and ATSW...
I am a Math substitute teacher for all levels of Middle School and High School. Algebra 2 is only one in the series of Math sections I substitute for, usually in grades between 9 and 12.
I have had many years of experience in Algebra 2, in addition to minoring in Math and majoring in physics in my 4 years of college education, additionally I am certified (have passed the NY state Math Teacher's exam CST#4, and thus there is no question about my qualification to teaching it.
I am highly versed with the teachings of the elements of elementary mathematics;
• Number and numerical operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
• Algebra – establishing basic concepts for working with algebraic variables, algebraic expressions and unknowns.
• Geometry and spatial sense - building the knowledge of basic shapes, visualizing objects in space, reading maps and measuring and solving problems associated with geometrical figures.
• Measurements - Learning the concepts of length, weight, temperature, capacity, time, and money.
• Data analysis and probability – the use of charts, tables, and graphs to help organize everyday information.
I have tutored and taught fundamental concepts of geometry including:
• The basics of Geometry - points, lines angles, polygons, midpoints and segments.
• Reasoning and Proof - inductive reasoning, conditional statements, and properties of congruence.
• Parallel and Perpendicular Lines – properties of parallel and perpendicular lines and algebraic equations of lines and slopes.
• Triangle relationships - mid-segments, perpendicular bisectors and angle bisectors, medians, altitudes, and the sides of different triangles.
• Polygons and Quadrilaterals - parallelograms, rhombi, rectangles, squares, kites, and trapezoids.
• Right Triangles Trigonometry - the Pythagorean Theorem and its converse. Trigonometric ratios and the Law of Sines and Cosines.
• Circles - properties of tangent lines, arcs, inscribed angles, chords, angles and segments that are formed by chords, tangents and secants, equations and graphs of circles.
• Perimeter and Area - perimeter and area of triangles, quadrilaterals, polygons, and circles.
• Surface Areas and Volumes - surface area and volume of prisms, cylinders, pyramids, cones, and spheres are found.
• Rigid Transformations - moving, flipping, or rotating of figures, to establish and study symmetry and other forms of geometric transformations.
I am a Pre-algebra tutor and am well versed with the concepts and applications of the following topics of the subject matter:
• Algebraic Reasoning: Patterns and Relationships :- Model, write, and solve multi-step linear equations with one variable using a variety of methods to solve application problems; apply appropriate formulas to solve problems (d= rt,I = prt), graph/interpret solutions to one-step and two-step linear equations on a number line with one variable and on a coordinate plane with two variables; predict the effect on the graph of a linear equation when the slope changes (e.g., making predictions from graphs, identifying the slope in the equation y = mx + b, relating to a graph, model, write, solve, and graph one-and two-step linear inequalities with one variable.
• Number Sense and Operation:- Represent and interpret large numbers and numbers less than one in exponential and scientific notation, solve problems using scientific notation, understand the concept of absolute value, simplify numerical expressions with rational numbers, exponents, and parentheses using order of operations, use the rules of exponents to solve problems (e.g., 7²•7³ = 75).
• Geometry:- Construct models, sketch from different perspectives, classify solid figures (rectangular solids, prisms, cones, cylinders, pyramids) and combined forms, understand the Pythagorean theorem; apply the formula to find the length of line segments, shortest distance between 2 points on a graph, length of an unknown side of a right triangle.
• Data Analysis:- Select, analyze, and apply data displays in appropriate formats to draw conclusions and solve problems; find the measures of central tendency (mean, median, mode, range) of a set of data, understanding why a specific measure provides the most useful information in a given context; determine how samples are chosen (random, biased, limited) to draw and support conclusions about generalizing from a sample to a population.
I am a precalculus substitute teacher/tutor, the subjects of which includes:
Exploring functions and graphs, polynomials and rational functions, logarithms and exponents, basic triangle and trigonometry, trigonometric functions, analytic trigonometry, vectors, systems and matrices, conics, polar and parametric equations, complex numbers, discrete math, finance, concepts of calculus, concepts of statistics, logic and set theory.
I am an SAT tutor and do assist students with their studies in improving their math skills in the following topical areas:
• Numbers and operations:- Arithmetic word problems, Properties of integers, Rational numbers, Sets, Counting techniques, Sequences and series, Elementary number theory.
• Algebra and Functions:- Substitution and simplifying algebraic expressions, Properties of exponents, Algebraic word problems, Solutions of linear equations and inequalities, Systems of equations and inequalities, Quadratic equations, Rational and radical equations, Equations of lines, Absolute value, Direct and inverse variation, Concepts of algebraic functions, Newly defined symbols based on commonly used operations.
• Geometry and Measurement:- Area and perimeter of a polygon, Area and circumference of a circle, Volume of a box, cube, and cylinder, Pythagorean Theorem and special properties of, isosceles, equilateral, and right triangles, Properties of parallel and perpendicular lines, Coordinate geometry Geometric visualization, Slope Similarity Transformations.
• Data analysis, statistics and probability:- Data interpretation (tables and graphs), Descriptive statistics (mean, median, and mode), Probability.
I have many years of experience in Trigonometry applications in engineering.