Send Deborah a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Deborah or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Alabama, Huntsville
SUNY Stony Brook University (PhD)
Hello. My name is Deborah. I have been teaching since 1998. I have been employed as an instructor both in the U.S. and abroad. Over the course of my career, I have had the pleasure of working with students of all ages and nationalities, as well as those from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds. As a result, I have developed a broad repertoire of communication styles and strategies for actively engaging individual learners in a way that meets their specific needs.
I hold a PhD in comparative literature from the State University of New York at Stony Brook. In addition to having a passion for literature, I am well versed in history and current events and am very socially conscious. Also, I have a keen interest in the arts and sciences, as my father is a scientist and my mother is a retired artist.
Below is a list of the subjects/classes I've taught:
1) Composition and Rhetoric (essay writing--structure, content, grammar)
2) Literature and Film
3) English as a Second Language (beginner to advanced)
4) Verbal and writing sections for standardized tests, such as the SAT, and preparatory classes for proficiency tests required by New York State for all elementary school students
5) GED preparation (all 5 content areas, including basic math)
6) Elementary and intermediate German language Hello. My name is Deborah. I have been teaching since 1998. I have been employed as an instructor both in the U.S. and abroad. Over the course of my career, I have had the pleasure of working with students of all ages and nationalities, as well as those from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds. As a result, I have developed a broad… Read more
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
PhD in comparative literature. Undergraduate degree in German and English literature. Voracious reader with extensive knowledge of world literature. Have taught literature classes at the college level.
Instructed classes designed to help high school students prepare for the reading and writing sections of the SAT. Hold a doctorate in literature. Have also instructed ESL students and GED students in reading comprehension.
Instructed classes designed to help high school students prepare for the verbal section of the SAT.
Deborah A. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Deborah, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.