Send Brian a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Brian or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
Purchase College (Other)
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
I am available to tutor students in biology, chemistry and organic chemistry. My tutoring method is highly effective and goes beyond superficial fixes to common learning issues. My strategy is to work from the bottom up; creating a solid foundation upon which more advanced problem-solving methods can be developed. I have worked extremely hard to achieve a high level of success in the sciences and I know first-hand the common pitfalls and difficulties experienced by students. I am very accessible, down-to-Earth and very good at getting others to understand without feeling intimidated or judged (a feeling I’ve had myself when I asked for tutoring help). I am confident that I can help anyone achieve a higher score and solid understanding of these subjects while having fun as well!
- Currently working in the Laboratory of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology at The Rockefeller University
- B.S. in Biology & Society from Cornell University (2008)
- B.A. in Biochemistry from Purchase College (summa cum laude) (2014)
- I am a Board Approved substitute teacher in the Pleasantville School District which means that I have passed a current and very thorough background check!!
- Inducted member of Sigma Xi Research Honors Society (2014)
- ACS Division of Organic Chemistry award winner (2014)
- Award for Excellence in Chemistry from the Westchester Chemical Society (Spring 2012)
- Awarded Outstanding Biochemistry Junior and Senior (2013, 2014)
- Supervising tutor for Einstein's Corner Tutoring Center
- Have prior private tutoring experience in biology, chemistry, history and reading comprehension
- Maintained an A+ average in general chemistry for both semesters (2011-2012) and never scored below a 100% on my biology exams.
- Achieved a near-perfect score on my SAT Verbal section
- Graduated high school as an AP Scholar and maintained an AP Exam average of 4.8 “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
I am available to tutor students in biology, chemistry and Read more
Brian has been tutoring my daughter for her chemistry honors class this past year. When she started the class in school, she found the first couple of tests very tough. Once Brian came on board, things changed, she quickly grasped an understanding for the subject and went on to perform extremely well in school. In May, all the honors students in their school district take the Avogadro Exam, a very difficult exam set by the University Of Waterloo, Canada. My daughter did very well on this placing in the 97% and was commended by the university. She also did very well on her chemistry Regents. Brian was amazing. He helped her master a subject she found very hard, and now loves, in fact she is going on to take AP Chemistry next year. I would highly recommend Brian. He is a wonderful, patient tutor, who sets high goals for his students and helps them achieve those goals.
My daughter's chemistry grades began to drastically improve shortly after Brian began tutoring her. He was very professional - arrived on time, was prepared for every lesson, and used every minute. Most importantly, he knows his stuff and always provided excellent examples of chemistry concepts that made a confusing subject much simpler to understand. My daughter was struggling at the beginning of the year and thanks to her lessons with Brian, her average rose from an 82 to a 94. We just learned that she got a 94 on the chemistry Regents. We are only disappointed that Brian doesn't tutor in the science subject that she is taking senior year!
Brian has helped my sophomore son prepare for his Chemistry Regents. Brian is patient and easy to work with. I highly recommend him!
Brian is very patient, detailed, and organized. My son's confidence & knowledge of chemistry is much better. My son received a good grade on the chemistry regents. I highly recommend Brian as a tutor. He gets the job done. Thank you very much Brian!!
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I love organic chemistry! I earned an A+ for both semesters and have tutored the subject privately and publicly for about two years. I was the senior tutor at Einstein's Corner Tutoring Center at Purchase College for several years where I tutored both general and organic chemistry. I am also the recipient of the American Chemical Society’s Division of Organic Chemistry Award!
Brian H. passed a background check on 6/20/13. The check was ordered by another user through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Brian, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.