Send Jonathan a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response shortly. Have you already emailed Jonathan or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, Wyzant will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
The College of New Jersey (International Studie)
Nanjing University (Graduate Coursework)
Let's start with a few pertinent facts about me:
1. I am bilingual in Chinese and English, with English as my mother tongue. My Chinese level has been certified as Advanced High by the ACTFL and level 6 proficiency (the highest level) on the HSK Chinese Proficiency Test. Documentation available upon request.
2. I have over eight years teaching experience, teaching both English in China (using Chinese as a the language of the classroom) and Chinese here in America.
3. Over the years, I have taught students as young as five and as old as sixty, and almost every age in between.
4. At present, I am a teaching Chinese in a public elementary school in Union County, NJ. Formal assessments available upon request.
5. When I say that I aim to make Chinese fun, it's not a cliche. Classrooms full of happy 3rd graders don't lie. This is because all of my classes are based on interaction - no matter what the student's level is, they should be able to show off what they know. I happily give them that chance.
6. Perhaps most importantly, I am fully versed in Chinese and American culture. Where other tutors may hit road blocks, I succeed. I bring realistic expectations to the classroom, with teaching and management methods and philosophies that make sense for American learners. Let's start with a few pertinent facts about me:
1. I am bilingual in Chinese and English, with English as my mother tongue. My Chinese level has been certified as Advanced High by the ACTFL and level 6 proficiency (the
Group rates are available on a sliding scale based on how many students I have. Please send an email to inquire.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have studied Chinese as a concentration for my undergraduate degree.
I have a 6 on the HSK (Chinese language test) and a score of 'Advanced High' on the Oral Proficiency Interview, issued by the ACTFL.
I have completed some graduate level coursework in Chinese philosophy, all written in Mandarin, at Nanjing University.
I currently teach Mandarin in the Linden Public School System, NJ.