Wake Technical College
I have 30+ years assisting customers to solve hardware and software problems. Calmly answer questions and assist customers with understanding. Simplify complex technical information, so a layman can gain understanding. Since I am an older person I would prefer to work with older people that do not have much understanding for technology. My computer work history started after my college graduation. Even though I studied Electronics Engineering, I ended up as a hardware repair technician for a major mainframe computer manufacture. After 4 years of as a bench technician I was promoted to a technical support position (10 years) tasked with helping customers using the manufacturers computer equipment. After the company I worked with dissolved, my occupation switched over to a hospital environment where I worked as a Network Administrator (7 years), responsible for setting up and maintaining computer networking equipment and training users and helping them to solve their problems. After 7 years of doing this I was lured away by an old colleague to work for him in a technical support role, where again I was tasked with helping customers using computers to run complex military and robotic equipment. I am familiar with Windows and Apple OS and Linux products. Most of my technical support experience has been around Microsoft products; however, several years ago I switched to Apple Macbook as my personal choice for computing. I have used Microsoft Front Office and Back Office products on a daily basis. If I do not have an immediate answer, I know how to research to find an answer.
- Ability to provide overview (the big picture) with how information is transferred from one location to another with the use of a computer.
- Ability to connect a personal computer to a home networking router and how to boot the computer and use the applications installed on the computer.
- Ability to use and provide instruction regarding most major applications (MS Office) typically installed on a computer.
- Ability to figure out special applications that may be installed.
- Ability to setup and use printer an other peripheral equipment.
- Ability to explain in laymen terms what is required to operate and explore.
- Ability to explain how a computer can be used to help someone communicate with other people.
- Ability to explain how a computer can be used to search/explore for information and knowledge.
- Ability to explain how a computer can be used to handle specific tasks (banking, check online health and insurance accounts, etc).
I enjoy helping people. Technology can be very challenging. Especially older people that did not grow up with all the technology that surrounds them daily. It can be frustrating and overwhelming, but older people do not want to be left behind. Learning should not be overwhelming. I have 30+ years assisting customers to solve hardware and software problems. Calmly answer questions and assist customers with understanding. Simplify complex technical information, so a layman can gain understanding. Since I am an older person I would prefer to work with older people that do not have much understanding for technology. My
I have 30+ years using, repairing and supporting computer hardware and software. I have worked as a Network Administrator responsible for setting up network components (servers, computers, routers, switches, etc) and peripheral equipment (i.e printers, scanners). I have worked daily in a customer facing role, which required answering questions and training users to use computers in a variety of situations. I have studied a variety of Microsoft courses throughout my career and I am a good listener.