Send Charles a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response shortly. Have you already emailed Charles or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Michigan (Master's)
University of Michigan (PhD)
I initially came here to offer tutoring in my hobby area of dancing, to find that I can offer tutoring in my professional area. So I say why not.
I have been using these tools for 20 years, wrote a college text book related to them when I was teaching at a university, now I am using these tools to develop software to control the cars you drive.
2. Fast Path To The Dance Floor - Ballroom, Latin, Swing Dance
I have been dancing for six years and I can help you with the following dance styles:
Swing: Hustle, Jive/East-coast Swing, West-coast Swing
Ballroom: Waltz, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quick Step
Latin: Rumba, Chacha/Cha-cha-cha, Salsa, Samba, Merengue, Bachata, Argentine Tango
Other: Nightclub Two Step, Country Two Step
If you are a beginner, I can help you get on the dance floor and dance with confidence in less than half of the learning time with less than 25% of the cost compared with a professional dance instructor. The following is why.
If your objective is dance competition or to become the top dancers in a ballroom, don't contact me. You need to spend the time and money required by a professional dance instructor.
If you are a beginner and your objective is to learn the correct way to dance and learn enough dance styles and get on the dance floor with confidence to enjoy this sport or art form without spending too much time and money, then I am the right person.
If you already danced for years but just cannot seem to get the right feeling of dance, and want to find out why, and want to fix your incorrect habits so you can be significantly above average in a ballroom, then I am also the right person.
A professional instructor sure dances beautifully but his/her attention is on getting you to perfection. He/she teaches you a little at a time so you can master each skill to perfection. That is fine for a dancer whose objective is competition. But for an average person who wants to enjoy dancing, it may take you at least twice as much time and four times as much money before you finally find yourself on the dance floor.
I have a graduate degree in engineering. I once taught engineering at a university. I am currently an engineer. Dancing is only my hobby, but a very serious hobby and I go to a studio to dance every week. Scientists and engineers tend to do the opposite of artists - making complex things simple. When I coach you, I focus on the most important dance skills and fix your obvious problems so you can master the dance and get on the dance floor with confidence quickly. Your learning time is cut at least by half, your hourly rate is cut by half, so your total cost with me will be less than 25% compared with a professional instructor.
For people who have taken dance lesson's for years, at least 80% of them still have one or more of the following mistakes that make their dance not so harmonious, let alone beginners. In addition to the above-listed dance styles I can couch you, I can certainly help fixing any of thsese mistakes you may have:
Mistakes on Timing with Respect to Rhythm and Synchronization:
- 90% of beginner female dancers moves too quickly ahead of music rhythm and ahead of men's lead. This mistake still happens to 70% of the experienced female dancers. When a lady moves in advance of the man, it destroys the lead-follower connection and makes it difficult for the man to lead the lady for more complex movements. So the man will only get by with simple moves while pondering which other lady to dance next.
Mistakes on Frame When in Closed Holding Form:
The man and woman should remain in parallel with each other and each looks ahead over the partner's shoulder with each person's right foot in-between the partner's feet. The frame is a parallelogram instead of a box. For ballroom dance, advanced dancers would twist his/her body slightly to the right to from contra-body balance with the partner.
- 50% of couples in a ballroom still incorrectly dance with a box frame. This not only makes dancing difficult, but also cause the partners to breathe into each other's face. Does a lady really want to smell a man's breath?
- 30% of couples in a ballroom do not even stay parallel with each other but have a triangular frame with the hand-in-hand side much wider than the other side. This also makes the man difficult to lead and impossible to do fast movement dance steps.
- 50% of women's shoulders stay too close to man causing the gentleman unable to apply the right amount of pressure on her shoulder blade to establish the right frame connection.
- 20% of women stay too far from the man causing the leader's hand unable to reach her shoulder blade to establish the right connection.
Mistakes on Frame When in Both Closed Holding and Open Form:
- 30% of women's right arm remains too soft to establish connection with the men. The men's left arm can push or pull a stick but not spaghetti.
Mistakes in Latin or Swing Dance Slot
- Most of the time, Latin dance or swing dance requires the woman to move in straight line in a slot backward and forward while the man make way for her while leading. You will find 50% of the women dancing in circles instead of straight-line slots. If the woman does not dance in a straight-line slot, the feeling is very awkward and the man simply cannot lead the woman into many beautiful moves. I initially came here to offer tutoring in my hobby area of dancing, to find that I can offer tutoring in my professional area. So I say why not.
I have been using these tools for 20 years, wrote a college text book related to them when I was
1. For MATLAB I can coach anyone at any level. 2. For dancing, I can only coach a female dancer or a couple. $35 the first hour, $20 for each additional hour. $50 per hour for a group.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have been taking ballroom/Latin/Swing dancing lessons every week and go to ballroom-studio level dance parties every week for six years. I consider myself among top 10 percent of the amateur dancers in any ballroom or studio. I am able to do Silver-level dance moves with the following dance styles:
Ballroom: Waltz, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quick Step; Latin: Rumba, Cha-cha-cha, Salsa, Samba, Merengue, Bachata, Argentine Tango; Swing: Hustle, Jive, West-coast Swing
I have a Ph.D. degree in engineering. I once taught engineering at a university as an assistant professor. I am currently an engineer. Dancing is my hobby, but a very serious hobby and I go to a studio to dance every week. Scientists and engineers tend to do the opposite of artists - making complex things simple. When I tutor, I focus on the most important dance skills and fix students' obvious problems so they can master the dance and get on the dance floor with confidence quickly.
Through my 6 years of dance experience I found that even for people who have taken dance lesson's for years, at least 80% of them still have one or more of the following mistakes that making their dance not so harmonious, let alone beginners.
I grew up in China and lived in China for 20 years. I am a native Chinese speaker and I received my bachelor's degree in a Chinese university. Then I came to the USA and received my master's degree and Ph.D. degree at the University of Michigan. I have lived in the USA for more than 20 years.
I am well-trained in both Chinese and English. I consider myself well-qualified to tutor Chinese for anyone that speaks English.
I have an M.S.E. and a Ph.D. degree in Engineering at the University of Michigan.
My first full time job was an Assistant Professor position in Electrical Engineering at a University for five years. I have been working in the auto industry for 15 years.
I have been using these tools for 20 years, wrote a college text book related to them when I was teaching at a university, and now I am using these tools to develop software to control the cars you drive.
I consider myself an expert in using these tools.
Salsa was the very first Latin dance I learned six years ago. I have been going to dance parties or galas in dance studios every week for six years. Salsa is my favorate Latin dance.
My Salsa dance level is usually among the top 10% of the amateur dancers in the dance studios I go to.
I started to take tango lessons six years ago. I learned both American Style Tango and Argentine Style Tango. American Tango is a style of Ballroom dancing. Argentine Tango is a style of Latin dancing. I have been dancing both styles of Tango in our local dance studio for six years.
For American style Tango, my skill level among the top 10% of the amateur Tango dancers in our local dance studio.
For Argentine style Tango, it is more challenging and currently I am the only man who is seen dancing it in our local dance studio.