University of Arizona (Civil engineering)
Wayne State University (Master's)
I am a mathematics and science (STEM) tutor for levels ranging from 4th to 12th grades. I am also an undergraduate and graduate engineering courses tutor as I have a Master of science diploma in engineering.
I am also a test preparation tutor for the SAT™, SAT ™ (calculus, physics, mechanics, electricity & magnetism only) Subject™ tests, PSAT™/NMSQT®, ACT® (math/science only), the ACT® preparatory tests : ACT®-PLAN for 10th grades [mathematics, science and reading], ACT®-EXPLORE for 9th and 8th grades [mathematics, science and reading], ASVAB/AFQT , AP® and many more tests. I also tutor statistics including the IBM®-SPSS-23® and Minitab®-17 statistics softwares as well as AutoCAD® 2-D. I have a strong background and understanding of the subjects I teach.
I believe that encouraging students to fully utilize their abilities will give them self-confidence while taking the university admissions tests as well as their regular school tests. To me this is as important as teaching the concepts of subjects being studied. My tutoring approach reflects this philosophy. I have taught for five years algebra, plane geometry, solid geometry, calculus, physics, and many other science subjects to junior and high school students before.
My tutoring approach begins with identifying the strengths/weaknesses of students and their learning capabilities. Based on this information, I build a study plan that is geared specifically towards each student, and one that will yield a target score within the specified time frame.
My tutoring sessions incorporate the following main elements :
1) A demonstration of clear understanding of the concepts in each subject area such as trigonometry, algebra, calculus, science, etc.
2) I work out an easy to moderate in difficulty illustrative example each time a student studies a new concept, so that the student learns the proper way to solve problems. I then let the students solve problems themselves under my guidance. Then I will oversee the students working out problems from assignments their schools give them or exercises I come up with. I always teach the fastest and most efficient methods of solving problems.
3) Timing is critical during examinations, therefore I teach students important time-saving ways such as short cuts, to eliminate obviously wrong answers, to answer the questions diligently and on how to use various tricks prudently and efficiently based on what they have learned.
4) I will help students practice sample tests on paper and online. I will guide students as they answer the questions on practice tests and I will time them. Taking practice tests regularly gives the student a feel for actual tests and helps them gain self-confidence.
5) The one-on-one setting helps me identify a student’s learning style, strengths, and weaknesses. Based on that, I plan a study session unique to each individual and one that will help the person achieve a target score within the allotted time. That small setting enables my students to ask questions without any distractions from other students, concentrate on the subject matter and understand deeply the concepts they are studying. Such a plan usually leads to success.
My tutoring style is easygoing, yet focused. The sessions are thorough and intensive. I believe in an optimistic and upbeat teaching approach as a chief element in studying.
Terms and conditions
Minimum durations of lessons for new students after February 14, 2017
If my commuting distance to the location of tutoring session is 8 miles or less : 1 ½ hours
If my commuting distance to the location of tutoring session is more than 8 miles : 2 ¼ hours
If I show up at the lesson location and the student does not, or shows up ½-hour late after the agreed upon start time , then I consider that a cancellation by the student . So either one of the following cancellation fees apply:
If my commuting distance to the location of tutoring session is 8 miles or less : ½ hour x the hourly rate for the subject that was to be tutored.
If my commuting distance to the location of tutoring session is more than 8 miles : 1 hour x the hourly rate for the subject that was to be tutored.
Short notice availability
I am not available for tutoring on a short notice (see below).
Minimum notification for requesting or scheduling lessons
A minimum of 1 day notification either by messaging through Wyzant , contacting me by voice or by texting me through cellular telephones .
Hourly rates are as follows (these may or may be not be the same as the default rate):
Algebra 1 $23
Algebra 2 $23
SAT general test (Math section only)$23
SAT® Subject Tests™(Math,chemistry & pyhsics only)$23
AP Calculus AB$23
AP Calculus BC$23
AP Statistics $23
AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism $24
AP Chemistry $25
AP Physics C: Mechanics$25
AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based$25
AP Physics 2: Algebra-Based$25
ACT® (Math or science sections only)$25
PSAT® (Math section only)/NMSQT®$28
SPSS® / Minitab® statistics softwares$28
AutoCAD® [2-D]$30 I am a mathematics and science (STEM) tutor for levels ranging from 4th to 12th grades. I am also an undergraduate and graduate engineering courses tutor as I have a Master of science diploma in engineering.
I am also a test preparation tutor for the SAT™, SAT ™ (calculus, physics, mechanics, electricity & magnetism only) Subject™
SPSS/Minitab rates : $28/hr. Statistics rate : $28/hr.
I reached out to Steve to study for a test I needed to take within two days. He helped me better understand the concepts of probability and binomial distribution more clearly.
Steve is very knowledgeable about elementary math. He's patient with my son.He definitely knows what he's doing.He is always encouraging and pushing my son to do his best. Will definitely recommend.
Steve is doing a fantastic job with my 7th and 8th grader. Its a happy feeling to see the confidence in their eyes, after a session with Steve. He not only helps them to understand the work, they come out of the sessions wanting to learn more. If your child is becoming frustrated with math, Steve can help make it fun again.
Maths and English I like how he present t the lesson with teaching learning materials,respectful humble, and seriously. ChI'll like him. Thank you so much Steve.
I am not the best student, but Steve was so patient and understanding. He explained the material in a way that I could easily understand and apply during exams and homework assignments
Steve is very patient with my son. My son likes him and the way he is teaching him. I like that Steve is very flexible with his hours. we are seeing him once a week.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I am an engineer with more than 25 years of experience designing various engineering projects using Autodesk AutoCAD, and Civil 3D 2016 (a more advanced version of AutoCAD).
Through my previous employers I have attended many seminars on AutoCAD. I also have certificates of completions of such seminars.