Send Steve a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response shortly. Have you already emailed Steve or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, Wyzant will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Arizona (Civil engineering)
Wayne State University (Master's)
I am a mathematics and science (STEM) tutor for levels ranging from 4th to 12th grades. I am also an undergraduate and graduate engineering courses tutor as I have a Master of science diploma in engineering.
I am also a test preparation tutor for the SAT™, SAT ™ (calculus,physics,mechanics,electricity &magnetism) Subject™ tests, PSAT™/NMSQT®, ACT® (math/science), the ACT® preparatory tests : ACT®-PLAN for 10th grades [mathematics, science and reading], ACT®-EXPLORE for 9th and 8th grades [mathematics, science and reading], ASVAB/AFQT, AP® and many more tests. I have a strong background and understanding of the subjects I teach. I also tutor statistics including the IBM®-SPSS-23® and Minitab®-17 statistics softwares.
I believe that encouraging students to fully utilize their abilities will give them self-confidence while taking the university admissions tests as well as their regular school tests. To me this is as important as teaching the concepts of subjects being studied. My tutoring approach reflects this philosophy. I have taught for five years algebra, plane geometry, solid geometry, calculus, physics, and many other science subjects to junior and high school students before.
My tutoring approach begins with identifying the strengths/weaknesses of students and their learning capabilities. Based on this information, I build a study plan that is geared specifically towards each student, and one that will yield a target score within the specified time frame.
My tutoring sessions incorporate the following main elements :
1) A demonstration of clear understanding of the concepts in each subject area such as trigonometry, algebra, calculus, science, etc.
2) I work out an easy to moderate in difficulty illustrative example each time a student studies a new concept, so that the student learns the proper way to solve problems. I then let the students solve problems themselves under my guidance. Then I will oversee the students working out problems from assignments their schools give them or exercises I come up with. I always teach the fastest and most efficient methods of solving problems.
3) Timing is critical during examinations, therefore I teach students important timesaving ways such as short cuts, to eliminate obviously wrong answers, to answer the questions diligently and on how to use various tricks prudently and efficiently based on what they have learned.
4) I will help students practice sample tests on paper and online. I will guide students as they answer the questions on practice tests and I will time them. Taking practice tests regularly gives the student a feel for actual tests and helps them gain self-confidence.
5) The one-on-one setting helps me identify a student’s learning style, strengths, and weaknesses. Based on that, I plan a study session unique to each individual and one that will help the person achieve a target score within the allotted time. That small setting enables my students to ask questions without any distractions from other students, concentrate on the subject matter and understand deeply the concepts they are studying. Such a plan usually leads to success.
My tutoring style is easygoing, yet focused. The sessions are thorough and intensive. I believe in an optimistic and upbeat teaching approach as a chief element in studying.
Hourly rates are as follows:
ACT Math [AP Calculus AB & BC]$28
ACT® Science $28
SAT / SAT preparation$23
SAT Subject Tests™(math),SAT®$23
SPSS® / Minitab®$28
Trigonometry $23 I am a mathematics and science (STEM) tutor for levels ranging from 4th to 12th grades. I am also an undergraduate and graduate engineering courses tutor as I have a Master of science diploma in engineering.
SPSS/Minitab rates : $28/hr. Statistics rate : $28/hr.
I am not the best student, but Steve was so patient and understanding. He explained the material in a way that I could easily understand and apply during exams and homework assignments
Steve is very patient with my son. My son likes him and the way he is teaching him. I like that Steve is very flexible with his hours. we are seeing him once a week.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I am an engineer with more than 25 years of experience designing various engineering projects using Autodesk AutoCAD, and Civil 3D 2016 (a more advanced version of AutoCAD).
Through my previous employers I have attended many seminars on AutoCAD. I also have certificates of completions of such seminars.