Experienced, Patient, Passionate Math Tutor (In-person and online)
Experienced, Patient, Passionate Math Tutor (In-person and online)
"The Best Tutor out here!"
Lauryn , 12 lessons with James
Response time: 1 hour
ONLINE and IN-PERSON.
Available 7 days a week.
NOTE: Online slots available 10:30 PM EST, 7:30 PM (PST).
NOTE: Bowie High Students ... available @ 3 PM (Mon, Tues, Fri) @ Bowie Public Library.
I'm an alumnus of Tougaloo College (Mississippi), where I majored in mathematics/computer science. I graduated with a 3.89 cumulative GPA (summa cum laude, class valedictorian). During high school, I scored in the 97th percentile on the military ASVAB exam. I recently scored the maximum (200) on the Praxis core math exam. My subject expertise includes (but is not limited to) college algebra, calculus, pre-calculus, geometry, trigonometry, algebra (1, 2, & 3), financial Aagebra, integrated math, finite math, statistics, and standardized test preparation. Students regularly request my services when preparing for the math sections of the ASVAB, PRAXIS, ACT, SAT, PSAT, GED, GRE, SSAT, ISEE, HSPT, and HSA exams. I have worked with more than 350 students via Wyzant.
PREFERRED LOCATIONS: Bowie Public Libraries; Bowie State Library; Wegman's (Largo and Crofton); Panera Bread (Bowie and Waugh Chapel Town Center, Vista Gardens Marketplace), local residences in Bowie.
NOTE: Weekly slots are for clients who want help weekly. Clients who cancel often and/or repeatedly waste my time, and clients who repeatedly ignore session confirmation requests, will be dropped.
* MON: 10 AM - 2:45 PM, 3:30 PM, 9:15 PM, 10:30 PM
* TUES: 10 AM - 2:45 PM, 3 PM, 4:30 PM, 9:30 PM, 11 PM
* WED: 10 AM - 2:45 PM, 10:30 PM
* THUR: 9:30 AM. 1 - 2:15 PM, 10:30 PM
* FRI: 10 AM - 4 PM, 9:30 PM
* SAT: 6:30 PM, 9 PM, 10:30 PM
* SUN: see 1-time slots
NOTE: The above weekly slots are also available as 1-time slots.
FRI: noon - 4:15 PM, 9:30 PM
Weekday nights at 10:30 PM
TUES 2/20 @ (10 AM - 2:45 PM), 3 PM, 6 PM, 9 PM, 10:30 PM
WED 2/21 @ (10 AM - 2:45 PM)
THUR 2/22 @ 1:30 PM, 10:30 PM
FRI 2/23 @ (10 AM - 4:15 PM), 9:30 PM
SAT 2/24 @ 11 AM, 12:30 PM, 6:30 PM, 9 PM
SUN 2/25 @ 8:30 AM (online), 4:30 PM, 6:30 PM, 8 PM
MON 2/26 @ 3:30 PM, possibly @ 6:15 PM, 9:15 PM, 10:30 PM
TUES 2/27 @ 4:30 PM, 9:30 PM, 11 PM
WED 2/28 @ (10 AM - 2:45 PM), 10:30 PM
THUR 3/1 @ 9:30 AM, 1:15 PM, 10:30 PM
FRI 3/2 @ (10 AM - 4:15 PM), 9:30 PM
SAT 3/3 @ 6:30 PM, 9:15 PM
SUN 3/4 @ TBD
MON 3/5 TBD
PRIVATE RESIDENCE TUTORING:
Location of neighboring sessions determine whether I can provide in-home service. Residence must be within 7 miles of Bowie (few exceptions). Someone 18 or over must be home. In-home tutoring is available to residents in Bowie, Largo, Glenn Dale, Crofton, Upper Marlboro (within 1 mile of Rt 214 .). Other areas can occasionally be serviced in home for a higher hourly rate, or longer session length. I prefer online over long distance driving. I do not drive during snow emergencies, and avoid driving during rush hour traffic.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ME:
- My best effort and honest opinions
- I work efficiently and effectively ... not a time-waster.
- I only tutor math related subjects and Math sections of exams (though certified for others).
- Someone who is patient, intelligent, prompt, fair, caring, and friendly
- Someone who will provide free links online to support the lessons covered, and any weaknesses of the student discovered during sessions.
- Text notification is sent if I will arrive late
- Students math knowledge and reasoning skills will be noticeably improved, if they are committed to listening, learning, and following my advice
- When receiving a rating that is less than the max, expect me to inquire about what I can do to receive a higher rating in the future. I set the bar high for myself as well as for my students.
WHAT NOT TO EXPECT FROM ME:
- Free tutoring services
- A mind reader... Please be clear about what you expect from me.
- To continue to work with clients who repeatedly ignore session confirmation messages.
- To work with clients who dont believe a 5-star rating is attainable
- No alternating slots ... "Weekly" means once per week ... not every other week, not monthly. If help is not needed weekly, please pick a 1-time slot.
- I do not reserve slots more than 10 days in advance.
- When the school year ends, so does your weekly slot (unless you request summer service)
- *** Summer Clients receive PREFERRED STATUS on picking time slots for the upcoming school year.
- Your child's grade will not improve from "E" to "A" overnight.
- A miracle. If your child has failed for most of the school term, you shouldn't expect that a few hours of tutoring one day before the final, will produce an "A" on the final exam.
- To work with clients who are (1) late often, (2) provide little or no notice when canceling, (3) cancel repeatedly, or (4) ignore and/or don't respond to text messages to confirm scheduled sessions.
- In-home tutoring when no one 18 or older is home.
- Unreal expectations. A complete semester review, or several missed homework assignments, cannot be completed in a 1 hour session.
- To immediately know how to do EVERY math problem presented, though I will try my best.
I PREFER NOT TO WORK WITH CLIENTS WHO ARE:
- Expecting the tutor (alone) to turn things around
- Dishonest, Rude; Disrespectful; Annoying
- Unappreciative, Unreasonable, Argumentative;
- Placing tutoring at the very bottom of the priority que.
- Non-responsive to session confirmation text messages
- Canceling frequently
- Unable or unwilling to provide reasonable and fair justification on ratings
WHAT DO I EXPECT FROM YOU?
- Please be on time. Text me if running late.
- 1 hour is the minimal session length billed. Longer time billed for distant travels
- 12 hours advance notice, when cancelling
- Please be honest, respectful, and fair in your ratings and reviews.
James has shared 521 answers and 2 articles on Wyzant Resources.Go to James’s resources
The Best Tutor out here!
I wouldn't want to have anyone else teaching my child! His knowledge is evident, but what is more impressive is how relatable his teaching is to students on difficult study material. After trying several tutors I have no hesitation in recommending Mr. B. I'd give as many stars as they would let me!!Lauryn , 12 lessons with James
GREAT SSAT Tutor
James is a great SSAT tutor. He patiently explains concepts to me and helps me work through problems. We have covered a lot of concepts over the past 45 days and I feel much more confident in my math skills as a result of the work I have done with James. He has also gone out of his way to find additional material for me to study on specific concepts that we have gone over - every lesson he sends along helpful links to material that is available on the web. James has also helped me with my regular school math and my test scores have meaningfully improved since I started working with James. He is very flexible in scheduling and has always found time to help me whenever I have needed it. I cannot be more thankful for having has the opportunity to work with James.Warren, 19 lessons with James
Great Algebra 2 Lesson
This was our first experience with Wyzant. James is a very patient and knowledgeable tutor. It was a great experience. He was able to explain all of the areas of concern and provide additional helpful resources online for learning. We will be using him regularly from now on for math tutoring.Jack, 2 lessons with James
Great personality and very efficient.
I've sought out for SAT math tutoring, and I stumbled across James on Wyzant, and I'm extremely glad I did. James is extremely knowledgeable in the field of math, and is extremely patient with students. Not only does he know his stuff, but his personality immediately puts the student at ease. The first time I had a lesson with James, any apprehension or anxiety I had disappeared. I highly recommend this tutor for SAT math, and other math subjects.Nicole, 7 lessons with James
I was terrified approaching the Core Math Praxis, as I am not a math person by any means. I found James through Wyzant, and in just six sessions we reviewed an entire math Praxis practice book. James provided me with the tools and strategies I needed to pass the Praxis the first time!! He is patient, understanding, and gives you more than one way to arrive at an answer. It was his guidance and expertise that allowed me to learn the necessary material to pass this test. I never thought in a million years I would take any kind of math test and pass the first time. Thank you so much for your unwavering commitment, support and effort.Chelsea, 6 lessons with James
Source of inspiration
After a recent lesson, my middle schooler told me that square roots are interesting and that he found a video about it online to try to learn more before his next lesson. That type of self-motivation comes from inspiration. Mr. James has inspired my child to want to explore math deeper.Catherine, 33 lessons with James
James helped me with my homework and helped when I was confused with optimization. James was responsive, on time and respectful. He understood the lessons from my class and was able to provide tips to help me complete my assignment. I look orward to out next session.Robert, 1 lesson with James
Knowledgeable about the subject matter and relates to student in way to make learning easier. My son said "He’s my favorite tutor yet!" We appreciate you. Thank you!Charlotte, 10 lessons with James
Very Helpful Tutor
Mr. James B is very helpful tutor. He breaks down all the problems one by one and fully explains the different steps to receive the answers. He does not continue until you understand the concept. He is very punctual and insightful.Suzette, 7 lessons with James
Jalen spoke very highly of James! I asked if he learned anything and if he wants to continue. He said he learned a lot; particularly, how to set up the problems he was having trouble with and he wants to continue so we're looking forward to future sessions. Thank you!Genesis, 6 lessons with JamesTutor responded:
I am very pleased with Jalen's progress. He has already improved his SAT Math score by 110 points, after only 6 sessions with me. I look forward to even more improvement in the coming months.
Response time: 1 hour