Send Ann a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Ann or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
St. Mary's College (Elementary Education)
Northeastern Illinois University (Master's)
With 15 years’ experience as a reading specialist in the Evanston/Skokie school district and a Master’s degree in Reading instruction from Northeastern Illinois University, I can help struggling readers get back on track before they fall too far behind.
I’m trained and certified in the highly regarded Reading Recovery program, designed specifically to help emergent readers (kindergarten and first grade) bridge the gap from oral to written language. I use the Developmental Reading Inventory to precisely benchmark your child’s reading level and drive the instruction accordingly.
I believe in teaching reading comprehension through writing, which not only solidifies understanding, it is a skill that is widely used in the new Common Core State Standards. I have experience with students at all different language levels, second-language students, as well as students with IEPs. With 15 years’ experience as a reading specialist in the Evanston/Skokie school district and a Master’s degree in Reading instruction from Northeastern Illinois University, I can help struggling readers get back on track before they fall too far behind.
I’m trained and certified
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
In my 15 years as a Reading Specialist, I have worked with many children with Dyslexia. I have taught them quick and efficient word recognition, how to efficiently recognize spelling patterns and how to comprehend both fiction and nonfiction.
My experience and expertise has meant accelerated growth for many of my students with Dyslexia.
I obtained my Elementary Education degree in 1988, and have been working in the field every since. To obtain a teaching certificate, I had to teach, under the supervision of a cooperating teacher, in each of the areas of an elementary curriculum. This includes math, reading, science, social studies, English (grammar and vocabulary). Thus, I am highly qualified to tutor students in the field of Elementary Education.
My experience as a Reading Specialist in Evanston for 15 years:
• Met daily with struggling 3rd through 5th graders at the transitional reading level to build deep comprehension through reading and writing.
• Helped students understand how authors wrote, including knowledge of text conventions, story structure, and organizational techniques.
• Provided sustained instruction that focused on the deeper analysis of a particular literary element, such as author's style or text features.
Guided Reading Plus
• Met daily in small groups with 1st and 2nd graders reading below grade-level.
• Promoted self-monitoring and self-correcting strategies, fluency, strategies for deeper comprehension, and vocabulary development in reading.
• Used writing as a tool to support deep comprehension.
Kindergarten Literacy Groups
• Worked daily with low-achieving kindergarten students in the areas of letter knowledge and formation, phonemic awareness, word structural analysis, spelling patterns, word solving actions, sight word vocabulary, comprehension, and concepts of print.
Ann W. passed a background check on 5/13/14. The check was ordered by Ann through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Ann, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.