Send Holli a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Holli or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
The California State University, Los Angeles (B.A. in psychology)
Walden University (Enrolled)
Hello! My name is Holli. I have a Master's in psychology and currently teach college-level psychology courses.
I have a lot of experience teaching people of all ages across many different subjects, as well. My favorite subjects to teach are reading (especially, but not limited to, elementary level), psychology, speech, performance, and voice.
My general experience includes:
1. M.S. degree in general psychology from Walden University (4.0 G.P.A.). Also, B.A. degree in psychology from CSULA (graduated magna cum laude in 2003).
2. Over 10 years of teaching experience in the public and private sector, including elementary education, tutoring, college-level instruction, and voice.
3. Working with students to uncover and remove individual learning blocks. My specialty is helping students learn to become competent in their own abilities. My approach not only helps remediate learning issues, but has the added positive effect of building student confidence!
4. Developed and implemented a program for at-risk children in Los Angeles around 2001, for which I received a certificate of recognition and thanks. The children involved enjoyed reading advancement beyond expectations.
5. I have a portfolio showcasing certificates of appreciation and achievement, as well as testimonials, attesting to the success of my teaching approach available for review upon request (at our first session).
For elementary education (particularly reading):
1. I was a first-grade teacher. Many of my students advanced beyond grade level by third quarter. And, I was able to help the special needs children in my class advance beyond expected levels, as well. Rather than look for reasons why a child should not be able to learn, I focus on ways to enhance every child's learning experience. This is how results happen!
2. Developed and use a very effective remediation strategy for children having difficulty in reading. Your child will be expected to work hard to remediate, and you will need to help in this process. But, with hard work, the results I have seen in most kids are nothing short of amazing with this approach.
3. I love working with my students, and they love working with me. I believe in accountability, but also fun when a child is working hard to achieve his or her goals. I can recommend ways for parents to reinforce positive study habits that will last a lifetime. After all, a parent is a child's first and most lasting teacher!
1. Without a doubt, my approach to vocal instruction is highly effective. I offer singing lessons, and many of my students have become working professionals in the local industry scene. In fact, two of my students, ages 11 and 13, landed lead roles in Broadway musicals in New York (earning Tony Honors and a Grammy Nomination), one of my 17-year-old students has a CD of his own original songs for sale, and many others work with professional performance companies or sing at live venue locations.
2. My approach to voice instruction is completely unique. I have been refining it for about 8 years now, and continue to make adjustments to my methods as I learn more from my students in the process of teaching.
3. My focus is on contemporary singing, but I also work with students interested in a Broadway focus. If you want your child to experience excellence in singing, you should definitely send him or her to me for lessons.
I sincerely hope to meet you and your child soon! Looking forward to helping him or her meet all of his or her set learning goals! Hello! My name is Holli. I have a Master's in psychology and currently teach college-level psychology courses.
I have a lot of experience teaching people of all ages across many different subjects, as well. My favorite subjects to teach are … Read more
Group rates available! Note: Once a lesson is booked you are responsible for attending. Cancellations will still be charged, so be sure to keep your appointment.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
As a first grade teacher, I was exposed to children diagnosed with ADHD. One of my ADHD students was deemed to be at a capability level that would have generally demanded the presence of a paraprofessional in the classroom to help me teach this child. Because I worked at a charter school with limited funds, no full time help was assigned to my room. Regardless of the previous assessment of the child and the lack of full assistance, I was able to help this child make incredible gains to the point that the special needs assessor assigned to this child's case literally said this did not seem to be the child whose IEP plan she had read! With parental support and a focused learning environment that does not allow for excuses, I believe any child can learn. And, my students have proven that time and again. Contact me for more specific information on my teaching methods, and what to expect if you choose me as your child's tutor.
Before a career move to teaching, I had a 15+ year career in the field of criminal justice. After I began teaching, I took an Adjunct Criminal Justice position at ITT Technical Institute and taught the subject for a couple of quarters. Please contact me if you need assistance in CJ. With years of in-field experience, along with my teaching capabilities, I am sure I can help you with your learning needs in this subject.
As a first grade teacher, I encountered a student diagnosed with dyslexia. The student quickly made gains in my classroom, and began to understand the fundamentals of reading. Within 4 weeks, he was reading on his own. Obviously, he had a lot of catch-up work to do from that point, but he had made gains enough to be able to read at a late K / early first grade level in just 4 weeks.
I have taught professionally for more than 10 years now (private and public, including work as a first grade teacher and college instructor). The fundamentals (3 R's) are extremely important to a child's success in life. But, the way in which a child learns to learn is at least equally as important. If you teach a child to discover tools to use for self-advancement, that child will become a capable adult. If you teach a child to look to another person (such as a teacher or parent) for answers, that child will mistakenly believe that someone else has all the answers. I teach children in a way that helps them develop confidence and life skills that move beyond the academic realm. As a bonus, my students typically make notable gains in academics beyond previous expectations by using their new found skills!
I developed and implemented a reading program for at-risk children in Los Angeles, CA about 11 years ago that earned me recognition and 2 certificates of appreciation. My approach to reading instruction and remediation is phonics based, and I have been instructing children using these techniques since I was a child myself. My first student was my younger brother. I taught him when I was about 11 years old, and he was offered the opportunity to skip a grade in school! In the years since, most of my other students (including special needs students) have enjoyed advancement beyond expectations, as well. Phonics instruction is the core of good reading ability, and it is instrumental in teaching children how to explore learning on their own through self-efficacy in reading.
As a voice coach (and a performer / speaker myself), I have helped a number of people tackle their fear of public performance and learn to command an audience with confidence. One of the keys to success in this area is the knowledge that you are prepared with the skills and abilities to do well when you perform live or speak for a crowd. Contact me right now to get started on the path to becoming an excellent performer / speaker by learning the skills you need to connect with your audience and create a memorable experience for everyone.
Education preparation: I am earning my Master's degree in general psychology (4.0 GPA). My personal focus is learning, and I recently put to paper my formalized learning theory. You are welcome to read my theory in order to more fully understand how humans learn, what can go right or wrong in the process, and how a person must be taught if remediation is to be possible. I have used the tenets of this theory to help a number of children that had trouble learning before working with me.
Experience includes: Developing an early reading program for at-risk children, teaching first grade, and tutoring children to remediate them in reading. I have worked with children with special needs, especially as a first grade teacher, producing excellent (even unexpectedly high-level) results in remediation.
I am a Professional Voice Coach, specializing in Independent Vocal Artist Development. Since 2005, I have been dedicated to helping singers learn to sing like they always dreamed they could. Many of my private lessons students have gone on to work professionally in the industry (including lead roles in Broadway, appearing on national television shows, and performing live at pro-level events such as presidential conventions and more). Contact me today to schedule an audition for you or your child.
Holli W. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Holli, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.