Send Angela a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Angela or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, France (Master's)
The main points of my experience, qualifications and foreign language teaching philosophy:
1. Professional experience:
I have been working in education as a French teacher for more than 30 years (12 of which in the US and the last six in California). A highlight of my teaching career is the professional experience and training at the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center in Monterey, CA, one of the best foreign language schools in the world with an intensive, proficiency oriented, language immersion and technology based linguistic program.
2. My most important professional strength is my proficiency in my subject and in pedagogy, based on:
- Native-like proficiency and fluency in French, and my commitment to intercultural education and exchange
- Studies in French linguistics, literature and methodology at the university level and in doctoral programs in Romania and in France (from 1992 to 1999) and in depth knowledge of the French socio-cultural life and traditions
- Teaching experience at all educational levels and with groups of learners of all ages and of different nationalities, to whom I always taught French as a foreign language in my native Romania as well as in France and in the United States; proved flexibility and adaptability to different educational systems.
3. My vision of the teaching of French is to develop my students’ understanding, knowledge of and ability to use the French language in real life situations, while giving them a sense of the rich and generous cultures of the Francophone world. My dedication to their successful learning of French language, literature and civilization is reflected in a set of innovative principles that inform my teaching practice at all levels:
- The use of direct and indirect methods and proficiency oriented strategies chosen in order to integrate the language skills in an authentic and meaningful communication.
- The integration of skills as a reflection of the intricacy of all the aspects of the language: speaking and listening; reading and searching for/sorting out written information; expressing opinions and feelings, analyzing and comparing different types of texts and socio-cultural information in oral and written communication.
- The creation and use of instructional materials incorporating authentic documents in task-based activities student-centered and technology supported (computer and Internet).
- The implementation of a meaningful situational/experiential learning (with activities using the language not “per se” but for the completion of the task) and of rigorous and meaningful learning assessments that give the students the opportunity to experience, interact, develop critical thinking, be creative, enjoy and ultimately make their own the foreign language they are learning.
- The conviction that the teacher and the learner collaborate. I view my role as being an advanced organizer (goal and context setter, language moderator and analyst), but also a facilitator (task designer, counselor). The student actively participates in this process in order to develop not only the necessary language knowledge and skills, but also an independent and critical thinking and a strong discipline and ethics of work.
- The accommodation through differentiated tasks of a wide range of learner styles and variables, including different academic profiles and previous language learning background.
- The motivation of the student’s interest through the immediacy of the observable outcome of the task(s) and especially through the relevancy of the language as a communication tool and a medium carrying the message of human knowledge, spirituality and culture. The main points of my experience, qualifications and foreign language teaching philosophy:
1. Professional experience:
I have been working in education as a … Read more
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
Angela T. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Angela, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.