University of California, Los Angeles (Writing)
University of Delaware (Graduate Coursework)
Cambridge English Language Assesment (Other)
Hello, I'm Kina L., a patient, kind, fun and effective tutor with a passion for writing and helping others grasp the English language. I have more than 10 years success helping students improve verbal and written expression skills.
My specialties include:
ESL - Teaching English to Students of Other Languages (TESOL); I am TESOL certified and I have worked with students from all over the world, including South Korea, Japan, China, Italy and France.
Test prep: IELTS, TOEFL and AP English Language & Composition
I offer a comprehensive, individualized preparation program for the AP English Language & Composition Exam.
High School and College essay coach - Some call me the Essay Whisperer!
My High School and College essay coaching clients are attending top universities such as:
- The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Goucher College, Towson, MD
- Smith College, Northhampton, MA
- Bradley University, Peoria, IL Hello, I'm Kina L., a patient, kind, fun and effective tutor with a passion for writing and helping others grasp the English language. I have more than 10 years success helping students improve verbal and written expression skills.
My specialties include:
ESL - Teaching English to Students of Other Languages (TESOL); I am
Online Session Rate $35 hr. In person Rate $50 hr.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have provided College Counseling to students for the past five years.
Prior to signing up with WyzAnt I was already providing College Counseling services for two families.
Both of my current College Counseling clients have been accepted to their choice colleges.
Additionally, I served in AmeriCorps and managed a pre college program for the Delaware Department of Education. While in that role I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about the college recruiting and placement process. I know what admissions teams look for in students.
College Counseling is my niche, I am well-versed in the college application and admissions process.
My approach is as follows:
1. Assess students academic and non academic achievements.
2. Assess the family's resources for higher education.
3. Discuss career and education goals with the student and family.
4. Assess the students personality for the purpose of making placement recommendations.
5. Provide the student and family with tools to help them organize the college application process. i.e. a planner with important dates highlighted, student portfolio, checklist, athlete profile, artist profile, financial plan, scholarship tracker.
6. Assist with coordinating campus visits and admissions interviews. Prep student and parents for interviews.
7. Provide guidance for the ever important college essay.
I provide valuable hands on guidance throughout the entire process.
I have a reputation for doing an excellent job matching students with the right schools based on my assessment.
My recent College Counseling clients have been accepted to:
University of Southern California
Columbia College Chicago
I am a Certified Oxford English Instructor.
I completed a TESOL certificate program in 2005 and I have taught many international students.
I can provide references from my former international students upon request.
I have ten years experience teaching English to international students. I have completed the Cambridge English IELTS Course for teachers.
I am a TOEFL Advisor
Award winning screenwriter and contributing writer for the Huffington Post.