Saint Mary's College of California
During the past fifteen years, I've worked for a national tutoring company, taught for a private school and been an in-home tutor solely in the area of middle and high school mathematics. My experience runs from 6th grade math and pre-algebra all the way through advanced and applied calculus. I have extensive training with the SAT, ACT, ASVAB, and other aptitude tests like the CAHSEE and GED. My students will tell you there's no way I could be a math teacher because "they just get it" when I explain.
A few things about me:
• My degree is in math.
• I've taught professionally and privately.
• I have a proven history of improving student scores and maintaining high class averages.
• I would rather show students why something works than only how to follow the steps.
• I don't expect my students to love learning like I do or to do it "my way".
• I want students to be aware that learning isn't "scary", they can "get it" and also enjoy discovering something new.
A few things about how I teach:
• I explain every step and every detail.
• I do assessments to determine what a student truly needs from a tutor.
• I base new instruction on demonstrated student knowledge.
• I always tie in new concepts with the old, if possible.
• I make sure students are comfortable enough to work on their own before I leave.
• I will help students learn mental shortcuts, use a calculator and think logically.
The bottom line is: I love watching my students succeed. During the past fifteen years, I've worked for a national tutoring company, taught for a private school and been an in-home tutor solely in the area of middle and high school mathematics. My experience runs from 6th grade math and pre-algebra all the way through advanced and applied calculus. I have extensive training with the SAT, ACT, ASVAB, and
Michelle is very professional and exact in her explanation of Algebra problems. Michelle is excellent to work with and very thoughtful of her students needs. Michelle cares about her students. She is very passionate about her teaching and her students learning. She want the best for her students. I would recommend Michelle for a tutor to anyone. I will consider no one else for a tutor. Thank You Michelle, you are excellent teacher and tutor.
Michelle M. was easy going, quick with the answer to all my questions and also helped explain each step.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.