Send Luis a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Luis or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
Biola University (Humanities)
Rutgers University (Master's)
Rutgars University (EdD)
Whether your goal is to improve your basic academic skills, earn a technology certification, score well on a standardized test (such as the ACT) or receive in-depth, advanced instruction in one of the subjects I specialize in (English Language Arts, American Studies, Political Theory, Government, World and U.S. History), you will find me to be a humane, challenging, and effective academic coach.
I served in the U.S. Air Force and took a B.A. in Humanities (History concentration with Philosophy and Literature as supporting fields).
In graduate school I tutored English Composition students; taught Phonology and Listening in the Program in American Language Studies (for foreign business people); and taught at Rutgers College and the College of Saint Elizabeth (Convent Station, N.J.). Whether your goal is to improve your basic academic skills, earn a technology certification, score well on a standardized test (such as the ACT) or receive in-depth, advanced instruction in one of the subjects I specialize in (English Read more
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
SPECIAL BIBLE STUDIES TUTORIAL FORMAT
As in the traditional Oxford/Cambridge tutorials, these will meet once per week (90 minutes each time) and consist of collaborative analysis and group discussion, not detailed instruction by the tutor.
Any serious scholar is welcome to join in what I expect will be a lively, friendly, and intellectually honest exchange of ideas. I approach the Bible from the theological perspective of a Reformed Protestant; however, all serious students are welcome even those who approach the Bible as world literature, and not as a sacred text.
In my WRITING TUTORIALS, I help students gain expertise in writing coherent and focused texts that convey a well-defined perspective and tightly reasoned argument. My strategy is to work with students through the various stages of the writing process.
Depending on a student's interests, and focusing on the area or areas they are weakest in, we work on just two or three of the areas listed below, instead of trying to cover the entire range of issues related to organization and focus in writing.
My students learn to. . .
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of discourse (e.g., purpose, speaker, audience, form) when completing narrative, expository, persuasive, or descriptive writing assignments.
2. Use point of view, characterization, style (e.g., use of irony), and related elements for specific rhetorical and aesthetic purposes.
3. Structure ideas and arguments in a sustained, persuasive, and sophisticated way and support them with precise and relevant examples.
4. Enhance meaning by employing rhetorical devices, including the extended use of parallelism, repetition, and analogy; the incorporation of visual aids (e.g., graphs, tables, pictures); and the issuance of a call for action.
5. Use language in natural, fresh, and vivid ways to establish a specific tone.
6. Use systematic strategies to organize and record information (e.g., anecdotal scripting, annotated bibliographies).
7. Revise text to highlight the individual voice, improve sentence variety and style, and enhance subtlety of meaning and tone in ways that are consistent with the purpose, audience, and genre.
Luis P. passed a background check on 9/27/10. The check was ordered by Luis through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Luis, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.