Many students have a fear of learning a foreign language. Instead of approaching acquiring a new tongue as an exciting challenge, many approach it with the question "Why do we have to learn this?" Learning a foreign language can be a wonderful experience. Here a few of my "Dos and Don'ts" when approaching foreign language learning.
- DO keep an open mind and be positive about learning something new.
- DO recognize the similarities of your native language and the new language that you are learning.
- DO review your notes from class everyday and practice at home.
- DO find a language/study buddy in your language class.
- DO think about your future and how a new language is going to benefit you with your future goals.
- DON'T be negative.
- DON'T be prejudice about a foreign language and its culture based on stereotypes.
- DON'T stop trying even when there are words that you do not understand or there is a chapter that is not really of interest to you.
- DON'T be afraid to ask for help.
Learning a Foreign Language can be challenging, but it can also be rewarding. Be sure to consider these "Dos and Don'ts" in your Foreign Language studies.