need step by step guidance
what is x for: 7/3 * x = 4/5
Fist step, as always with equations is:
1. determine what is happening to the variable, in this case the x.
2. It appears the x (on the left side) is being multiplied by the fraction 7/3.
3. we want x by itself on the left so we need to get rid of the 7/3. Since x is being multiplied by 7/3 we must divide both sides of the equation by the same amount; 7/3.
4. 7/3x divided by 7/3 equals x all alone. Ok the left side is done.
5. Now we divide 4/5 by 7/3. This is done by flipping our 7/3 to its reciprocal of 3/7. Then we multiply the flipped fraction and the 4/5. You should get 12 (3*4) over 35 (5*7) or 12/35. This cant be reduced so we are done!
The idea is to divide both sides by the coefficient of x, which is 7/3. Note that dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal.
(7/3)x = 4/5
x = (4/5) / (7/3) divide by 7/3
x = (4/5) * (3/7) the reciprocal of 7/3 is 3/7
x = (4*3) / (5*7) multiplication of fractions --> a/b * c/d = ac / bd.
x = 12/35 simplification