trying to figure out how to vlaue the digits in numbers
what is the value of the digit 5 in 50,143
To figure out the value you have to look at all of the numbers from right to left. You start with the ones place and get prgressively bigger going up by a multiple of 10 each time. So you have the ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, etc. In the number in your example, you have 3 ones, 4 tens (or 40), 1 hundred or (100), 0 thousands, and 5 ten thousands (50, 000). You can write the number in expanded form to help you figure out the value. 50,000 + 100 + 40 +3.
Firstly, take a close look at the number in question - 50, 143. To know what the 5 is worth, you first need to figure out its place in the number. If we work from right to left,
- the 3 is in the 1's spot so is worth 3,
- the four is in the 10's spot so is worth 40,
- the 1 is in the 100's spot so is worth 100,
- the 0 is the 1,000's spot, so there are no 1,000's,
- Lastly, the 5 is in the 10,000's spot so is worth 50,000.
With questions like this, the key is to taking it slow, if you rush, there is a huge chance you will give a number the wrong classification.