i dont understand. halp. 7x time 7 = 6x
Seven times a number and seven is equal to six times a number.
- Word problems can be tricky no matter what level of math or science you are in.
- First look at the question for words that indicate mathematical symbols.
- "times" indicates multiplication
- "and" indicates addition
- "a number" means we have a variable, x, to solve for
- Now we can go from left to right and write it in a mathematical equation
- Then, solve for x
7 = 6x - 7x
7 = -1x
7/-1 = x
x = -7
- Finally, we check our work.
7(-7) + 7 = 6(-7)
-49 + 7 = -42
-42 = -42 √
The answer is x = -7