Like if i was givin a graphed parabola how would i figure out how to write the equation, in vertex form/
How to write an equation for a parabola in vertex form
Tutors, please sign in to answer this question.
Some examples for the formula
The format of the equation that shows you where the vertex is
y = a(x - h)2 + k
Example. This parabola has a vertex at (3,4).
y = 2(x - 3)2 + 4
Example 2. This parabola has a vertex at (1,1)
y = (x–1)² + 1
How to find "a"???
Pick a point on the graph other than the vertex. Let's say you see the line pass through (1,5) and the vertex is at (3,4)...
First the vertex gives you this...
y = a (x - 3)2 + 4
Put the values (1,5) into this equation.
5 = a (1 - 3)2 + 4
Solve for a
5 = a*(-2)2 + 4
5 = 4a + 4
1 = 4a
1/4 = a
Final equation is
y = 1/4*(x - 3)2 + 4
The vertex form of a parabola's equation is generally expressed as :
y=a(x−h)^2+k Where (h,k) is the max or min.
1. Look at the graph.
2. Find the vertex of the graph (h,k)
3. Vertex is the highest / lowest point of the graph known as Max or min (h,K)
Plug this into the form y=a(x−h)^2+k Next solve for "a"
4. To find the "a " ----> pick a point on the graph other than vertex. (usually y intercept)
5. plug it into the vertex form and slove for "a"
IF the general equation is given for the graph: y=ax^2+bx+c, then
1. to find the vertex: use formula x= -b/2a
2. plug x into the given equation to find y value
3. now you have (h,k)
4. find a point on the graph and plug in to the vertex form equation to find "a"
see below for example
y= x^2-2x+3 given: x= -b/2a ------> x= -(-2)/2(1)= 1-----> pug this into the given equation so y= 2
Min (1,2) and now pick x=0 so y=3 (0,3) to find "a"-----> in this case a = 1
I am in AZ too.
To write an equation for a parabola in vertex form, you need to read the coordinates of the vertex from the given graph as (h, k) first. You can write
y = a(x-h)^2 + k
Now, read the y-intercept or any other given point.
y-int = ah^2+k
You can solve for a,
a = (y-int-k)/h^2
So, the vertex form is y = [(y-int-k)/h^2](x-h)^2 + k